You must meet all qualification requirements outlined within this vacancy by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of this announcement.
As a basic requirement, applicants MUST have a Bachelors or higher degree from an accredited college or university in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
As an alternative, applicants may have: A combination of education and experience courses equivalent to a major, or at least 30 semester hours in courses in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional education;
4 years of experience that demonstrated knowledge and understanding of one or more of the biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, or related disciplines equivalent to that which would have been acquired through completion of a 4-year course of study in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Additionally, applicants MUST demonstrate progressively responsible leadership that is indicative of senior executive level managerial capability as outlined under Executive Core Qualifications and Technical Qualifications. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the federal service or its equivalent with state or local governments, the private sector, or non-governmental organizations.
1. Experience in managing and leading complex and cooperative science programs, science policy, and in applying the results of science within management, regulatory and other decision frameworks, particularly within the field of natural resource management.
2. Ability to identify, advocate, and advance new conservation science concepts.
3. Ability to formulate science goals and objectives.
Executive Core Qualifications:
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: You must have demonstrated an ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
Leadership Competencies: Creativity & Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: You must demonstrate the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer Service, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This ECQ involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This ECQ involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Written Communication, Continual Learning, Public Service Motivation.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Selective Service: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants who meet all the mandatory executive and technical qualifications will be evaluated by a panel of SES members to determine the degree to which they possess each of the listed qualifications. This evaluation will determine which applicants are best qualified. Total background, including experience, education, awards, self-development, and training will be reviewed. This information will be obtained from the application package, including the required narrative statements for the technical and Executive Core Qualifications described above.
All applicants must submit the following in order to receive consideration for this position:
1. A resume. You must include the following information:
- Vacancy announcement number
- Full name, mailing address, and day and evening telephone numbers
- Social Security Number
- Educational information, including the name, city and state of colleges or universities you attended, as well as the type and year of any degrees received
- Information about your paid and nonpaid work experience related to this position including:
- Job title (include series and grade if Federal job)
- Duties and accomplishments
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor's name and phone number
- Starting and ending dates of employment (month and year)
- Indicate if we may contact your current supervisor
- Information about honors, awards, and special accomplishments
2. A narrative statement addressing each of the Executive and Technical Qualifications experience (paid and unpaid), education, training, awards, and/or self-development activities as related to each. Each technical qualification and each ECQ must be addressed separately. The narrative addressing ECQs must follow the format provided at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf. (Adobe Acrobat required) OR YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE CONSIDERATION. Narrative statements for the executive qualifications may NOT exceed ten (10) pages total and for each individual technical qualification may not exceed two(2) pages. IF YOU EXCEED THESE LIMITS YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. PLEASE SUBMIT THESE AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT IN YOUR APPLICATION, DO NOT ATTACH IT TO YOUR RESUME.
3. Graduates of approved SES Candidate Development Programs must include a copy of the OPM certification of eligibility and a narrative statement addressing only the technical qualifications.
4. Current or former Career SES members must submit documentation of their SES status and a narrative statement addressing only the technical qualifications. NOTE: Non-Career SES members must address the narratives for BOTH the Executive Core Qualifications and the Technical Qualifications.
5. If a current federal employee, a copy of a recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that indicates Federal status, grade, tenure, and type of service.
6. A copy of your most recent annual performance appraisal (from either the Federal or private sector).
7. Candidates are requested to complete the DI-1935, Applicant Background Survey, on a voluntary basis. Information will be used solely to review compliance with Federal law. Failure to complete this form will not affect consideration. The form can be found online at http://www.doi.gov/diversity/di1935.htm.