The National Defense University (NDU) is the premier national security institution focused on advanced joint education, leader of development and scholarship.
Under the direction and leadership of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the oversight of the Director for Joint Force Development, Joint Staff (J-7), NDU offers a collegial and collaborative academic environment to support the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world. Students are selected for their leadership potential and attend classes at Fort McNair in Washington DC; the Joint forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA; and at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg, NC. A variety of on-line courses are offered as well. At NDU, students are encouraged and taught to think creatively, critically, and imaginatively in order to anticipate and overcome future challenges to national security. The curriculum combines information technology and classroom experience with many other aspects such as international travel and exposure; interaction with industry, members of the inter-agency community, and international allies and partners; and participation, research and professional exchanges with local and national consortia of national security academic institutions.
- The Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer (EVP/COO) is a member of the NDU senior leadership team and reports directly to the NDU President.
- The EVP/COO provides leadership and strategic planning expertise across the enterprise to assist the NDU in implementing its strategic plan in a constrained resources environment. Coordinates and prioritizes needs/resources across the NDU enterprise in conjunction with the Senior Vice President (SVP), the Provost and the Director of Research and Strategy
Support to ensure alignment with the strategic plan and the NDU Presidents vision.
- The EVP/COO coordinates critical NDU resource/administrative actions at the highest level of the Federal government including with senior members of the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Defense Agencies, Combatant Commands, the Military departments and Services, the Office of Management and Budget, the Office of
Personnel Management and others as appropriate. Establishes and maintains close and effective relationships with principle executives and officials of these organizations.
- Incorporates Secretary of Defense priorities, the CJCS's guidance, customer and stakeholder feedback and inter/intra agency discussion in the NDU Strategic planning and organizational management actions.
- Develops and implements policies, processes, and procedures that deliver high quality support to the academic programs and research activities carried out by the universitys colleges and components. Oversees all administrative management operations including IT, budgeting, facilities, and personnel management resources.
- Has primary responsibility for synchronizing the day-to-day institutional support across the NDU enterprise and finds solutions for long-term resource challenges while fostering a customer-centric service delivery culture.
- Participates in teaching and research activities. Serves as a mentor and advisor to a small group of students each year. Researches and applies best management practices in higher education to the NDU enterprise.
- Occasional Travel
- Less than 25% of the time