Job Title:EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT / CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:National Defense University
Job Announcement Number:NDU-14-025-1066243
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, March 11, 2014 to
Friday, April 11, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
Term NTE 3 years|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Fort McNair, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All groups of qualified individuals |
The National Defense University (NDU) is the premier national security institution focused on advanced joint education, leader of development and scholarship.
Under the direction and leadership of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the oversight of the Director for Joint Force Development, Joint Staff (J-7), NDU offers a collegial and collaborative academic environment to support the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world. Students are selected for their leadership potential and attend classes at Fort McNair in Washington DC; the Joint forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA; and at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg, NC. A variety of on-line courses are offered as well. At NDU, students are encouraged and taught to think creatively, critically, and imaginatively in order to anticipate and overcome future challenges to national security. The curriculum combines information technology and classroom experience with many other aspects such as international travel and exposure; interaction with industry, members of the inter-agency community, and international allies and partners; and participation, research and professional exchanges with local and national consortia of national security academic institutions.
- Occasional Travel
- Less than 25% of the time
- Background Investigation is required
- Must be able to obtain/maintain US work authorization
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- A master's degree is required; PhD or terminal degree is desirable.
- Must possess extensive managerial/leader experience at high levels within the military, public or private sectors to be able to effectively carry out the overarching and holistic supervisory, managerial, and technical duties of the position.
- Demonstrated ability and success in developing, implementing, measuring performance and analyzing a variety of complex programs, projects, and services for a large customer-base with diverse program requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaboratively and work effectively with others in a diverse environment; ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with University personnel and representatives of various external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, critically and creatively, and to promote strategic, critical, and creative thinking into his or her people.
- Demonstrated ability to lead institutional change in a resource constrained environment by developing innovative and creative solutions.
- Written and verbal fluency in English is required.
Previous Flag Officer, SES, or Civilian VP/COO experience with similar or greater responsibilities in organizations of similar or greater complexity.
Experience working at the interagency, joint, multi-service, or multi-national level.
Knowledge of public sector academic institutions organization, structure, and operations.
Familiarity with the mission, organization, and operations of the Department of Defense.
Background or Security Investigation: The individual selected for this position is required to complete a background investigation.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the basic requirements will be further evaluated by information provided in the Assessment Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Leading Change
- Building Partnerships and Coalitions
- Results Driven
- Business Acumen