Job Title:Student Trainee (Engineering), ZP-0899-II (GS-7/9 equivalent)
Department:Department Of Commerce
Agency:National Institute of Standards and Technology
Job Announcement Number:NISTEL-2014-0011
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, February 28, 2014 to
Monday, March 31, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Excepted Service: Temp NTE 1 Year; Full-time -
Temporary appointment not to exceed 1 year|
|3 vacancies in the following location:|
Gaithersburg, MD View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Student/Internship Program Eligibles|
About the Agency
NIST currently has several internship positions located in the Engineering Laboratory. The incumbents that are selected will perform nonlinear analytical studies of building structures designed to resist earthquake ground motions in accordance with current design standards.
Are you ready to explore your future with NIST?
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be registered for Selective Service (see Other Information).
- You must be suitable for Federal employment.
- You must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be enrolled at least half time at a qualifying institution
- Must possess a grade point average (GPA) of a 3.0 or higher out of a 4.0.
DUTIES:Back to top
To perform nonlinear analytical studies of building structures designed to resist earthquake ground motions in accordance with current design standards, so as to determine performance of specific building elements. The work will be directed by a research structural engineer with the goal of exploring the relationship between specific design requirements found in applicable codes and standards and the observed performance. Topics to be studied may include: (1) development of a more accurate approximate structural period relationship for use in determining design-level lateral earthquake forces, (2) development of improved rules for distributing design-level lateral forces that consider vertical irregularities in the structural lateral system, and (3) analysis of collapse for performance-based seismic engineering.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
In addition to the basic requirements, applicants must have: Completed of 1 full academic year of graduate level education; or have Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision and completion of a bachelor's degree.
Superior Academic Achievement is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.
1. Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
2. Grade-point average (G.P.A.)-- Applicants must have a grade-point average of: a. 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or b. 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum. Grade-point averages are to be rounded to one decimal place. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0 and 2.94 will round to 2.9.
3. Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society -- Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society. Click here for a list of qualified honor societies. Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements this provision.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts to document that you have met the education requirement. Transcripts MUST show that you are currently enrolled as a student and display cumulative GPA. Official transcripts will be required prior to a final offer of employment. If you are not currently enrolled, you must submit proof of enrollment (i.e., letter from the registrar's office or acceptance letter from an accredited educational institution) for the upcoming semester. This documentation must confirm the following: the degree/diploma program in which you have been accepted and that you will be enrolled on at least a half-time basis for the upcoming semester.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education's website - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html. You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
All applicants must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, degree) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). In addition, you must be enrolled in school for the duration of the appointment. You will be required to provide documentation to support your eligibility for the program.
Applicants must possess a grade point average (GPA) of a 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0. Grade-point averages are to be rounded to one decimal place. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0 and 2.94 will round to 2.9.
Applicants must meet requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applications will be evaluated against the basic qualifications. Qualified candidates will be considered in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Pathways Guidelines. Veterans' Preference does apply to the Pathways recruitment procedures. Selections made under this notice will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. You may not be considered for the position if any part of the application is incomplete. Your application may not receive appropriate consideration without the required supporting documentation. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or adverse action after hiring.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
apply on-line through WWW.USAJOBS.GOV. Your application must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement.Uploaded resumes
must include the following: applicant contact information and educational and professional background information including dates of employment and education, salary (and Federal grade level, if appropriate), and work schedule (i.e., FT/PT). Please also include in your resume a list of all publications and patents/patent applications on which you are a named inventor and provide the title and patent/patent application number for each. Incomplete applications will not be considered and you will not be contacted to provide any missing information.If you do not have access to the internet:
If you do not have internet access, please contact the HR Specialist identified for this vacancy for alternative application methods.Problems Completing Your Application:
If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by email at email@example.com
. The help desk is available Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
The following documents are required if you are applying to this announcement:
How do I submit my documents:
- Current Resume
- Current unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts (if selected official transcripts are required). Your transcript(s) must document the educational requirements for this position. Transcripts must show that you are currently enrolled as a student and display cumulative GPA.
- Proof of Enrollment: If you are not currently enrolled, you must submit proof of enrollment. For example, a letter from the registrar's office or acceptance letter from an accredited educational institution. The documentation must confirm the following: the degree/diploma program in which you have been accepted and that you will be enrolled on at least a half-time basis for the upcoming semester.
- Veteran's Preference documentation: DD214, VA letter,SF-15 if claiming 10 pt. preference, if applicable
You may submit required and/or supplemental documents through any ONE of the following methods:
>Upload your file(s);
>Download from your USAJOBS account;
>Fax using the on-line fax cover sheet;
>Mail your documents, ONLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS;
All required supporting documentation mentioned in this vacancy announcement, and all vacancy applications submitted electronically or via fax must be submitted and received by 11:59 pm ET on the closing date of this announcement. You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.NOTE:
Once a document has been uploaded or faxed to a particular category (i.e., transcript), you cannot refax or upload additional documents to the same category (i.e., transcript) without overriding the original documents. In this case, please submit the additional documents to the "other" category.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is referred to management for consideration, you may be contacted to interview for the position. You may be contacted by NIST upon consideration for employment to inform you of additional qualification requirements (i.e., selective factors) that would be required for a particular position.