Job Title: Assistant U.S. TrusteeJob Announcement Number: 14-UT-1047311
Department: Department Of Justice
Agency: Justice, U.S. Trustee Program
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, March 06, 2014 to
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Excepted Service Permanent
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Public Trust - Background Investigation
About the Agency
The U.S. Trusee Program (USTP) is a litigating component of the Department of Justice and has the legal authority in every bankruptcy case filed in the United States, from Title 28 Chapter 7 liquidations to major Chapter 11 business reorganizations. As a result, USTP employees headquartered in Washington, D.C., and in our 93 field office locations throughout the country handle a wide range or challenging and significant matters as we strive to promote the integrity of the bankruptcy system by enforcing bankruptcy laws. Of particular importance is this Program's effort to address fraud and abuse by debtors, attorneys, and others in the bankruptcy system by taking formal and informal actions in a civil context and making criminal referrals to and working with the U.S. Attorneys. We place a high value on diversity of experience and cultural perspective and encourage applications from all interested eligible candidates, including attorneys from all ethnic and racial backgrounds, women, LGBT individuals, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding career and accesss to a generous benefits package, consider the USTP as your employer of choice!
- 25% or Greater
- Occasional Travel Required
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- You must complete a background investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required, as applicable.
- You may be subject to undergo a urinalysis for a drug test.
- Selectee must complete a 2 year trial period and 1 year for Veterans.
DUTIES:Back to top
The United States Trustee Program (USTP) is seeking one experienced attorney in each listed location to serve as an Assistant United States Trustee (AUST). The incumbents are responsible for the administrative and legal management of the United States Trustee's office's, including the supervision of personnel assigned to the office; the implementation of enforcement strategies to combat fraud and abuse in the bankruptcy system; the administration of cases filed under chapters 7, 11,12, and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code; representing the United States Trustee in bankruptcy court; maintaining and supervising a panel of private trustees; and ensuring that violations of law are referred to the United States Attorney and federal law enforcement officials.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Interested parties must possess a Juris Doctorate degree and be an active member of the bar (any jurisdiction), and have at least 10 years of post JD experience. Preferable post JD experience in the following legal specialties are desired: bankruptcy, litigation, appellate, business, and/or financial services.
Bar certification must be in good standing.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are basically qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the online assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
There is no formal rating system for applying veterans preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Department of Justice considers veterans preference eligibility as a positive factor in attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documentation (e.g., the DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and other supporting documentation) to their submissions. Although the "point" system is not used, per se, applicants eligible to claim 10-point preference must submit Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, and submit the supporting documentation required for the specific type of preference claimed (visit the OPM website, www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf for a copy of SF 15, which lists the types of 10-point preferences and the required supporting document(s). Applicants should note that SF 15 requires supporting documentation associated with service-connected disabilities or receipt of nonservice-connected disability pensions to be dated 1991 or later except in the case of service members submitting official statements or retirement orders from a branch of the Armed Forces showing that his or her retirement was due to a permanent service-connected disability or that he/she was transferred to the permanent disability retired list (the statement or retirement orders must indicate that the disability is 10% or more).
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must apply through the USA Staffing on-line job application system at www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/362906800, complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 28, 2014
to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
· Resume showing relevant experience (cover letter optional).
· Veteran preference documentation, if applicable.
· CTAP/ICTAP documentation, if applicable.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you applied online and your application is complete, DO NOT fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
To verify uploaded documents have been processed, please wait one hour to ensure they have cleared the virus scan. You can verify that your uploaded documents are attached to your application by checking the Details tab of your Application Manager account https://applicationmanager.gov/ for this vacancy announcement. Your documents will display under the Details tab in the Document area.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s), you may fax your supporting documents by following the procedures outlined below:
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1047311
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 28, 2014 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
Faxed documents will take 2-3 business days to process.
Faxed documents submitted with missing information will not be processed. The following will prevent your documents from being processed:
Not using the special cover page mentioned above.
Missing, incomplete, or invalid Vacancy Identification Number
Missing or incomplete Social Security Number or name
Note: If you have documents in your Application Manager account from a previous vacancy announcement they can be opened, copied and saved then reused as an upload file for this vacancy. Uploading your documents will speed the processing of your application for this announcement.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. We expect to make a final job offer within 80 days after the closing date of the announcement.
Additional Duty Location Info
9 vacancies in the following locations:
Fresno, CA View Map
Wichita, KS View Map
Louisville, KY View Map
Grand Rapids, MI View Map
Las Vegas, NV View Map
Chattanooga, TN View Map
Roanoke, VA View Map
Seattle, WA View Map
Madison, WI View Map