About the Agency
This announcement is to recruit for the 2015 Spring Agent Candidate Training Academy. This announcement is limited to the first 1000 applications and will be closed when the limit is reached. The first 1000 applications will be accepted to include any other applications received by close of business on the day the limit is reached.
This position is also advertised for one other location, Albuquerque, NM (14-0035-VRA). To be considered for each location, you MUST apply to each specific vacancy announcement.
These positions will be filled using the Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) authority. Applicants appointed under the VRA are placed in the excepted service. After successful completion of 2 years of service under this appointment, conversion to the competitive service is possible. Veterans' preference applies for appointments made under the VRA authority.
The following criteria shows who is eligible for a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA).
This includes veterans who are:
• in receipt of a campaign badge for service during a war or in a campaign or expedition; OR
• a disabled veteran, OR
• in receipt of an Armed Forces Service Medal for participation in a military operation, OR
• a recently separated veteran (within the last 3 years), AND
• separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge).
You must provide documentation that supports your eligibility for consideration for a VRA. See Required Documents for more information.
As a Courier, you will:
- Serve as a member of a highly specialized armed protective force that is responsible for the safe and secure transportation of classified and/or hazardous materials including nuclear weapons, components, test assemblies, and strategic quantities of weapons-grade special nuclear materials. This involves the operation of Government-owned motor vehicles, including tractor-trailers.
- Integrate many processes and methods in the fields of security; health and safety; emergency management; and law enforcement, including paramilitary tactical operations to respond to a multitude of possible natural and/or man-made threats to the safety and security of sensitive, dangerous, and extremely valuable cargo.
- Participate in security planning prior to trip departures; assess multiple issues and factors related to shipment security during convoy operations; coordinate with other Federal, state or local law enforcement agencies and first responders concerning the investigation of potential criminal or terrorist acts or activities that could be considered a threat to the mission.
- Will be armed to provide the force necessary, up to and including the use of deadly force, to prevent theft, sabotage or takeover by unauthorized persons or groups. Respond quickly and effectively to environmental, resource, and safety and security issues that may arise unexpectedly in the course of mission operations.
- 50% or Greater
- 50% or Greater