Job Title:Supervisory Emergency Management Specialist
Agency:Federal Communications Commission
Job Announcement Number:DEU-PSHS-2014-0003
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, February 26, 2014 to
Friday, March 14, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All U.S. Citizens|
About the Agency
As of March 14, 2014 The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) On-line recruitment system will undergo system changes. Vacancy announcement DEU-PSHS-2014-0003, Supervisory Emergency Management Specialist will CLOSE TODAY at 11:59 P.M., March 14, 2014 and be announced on Monday, March 17, 2014 under vacancy announcement number DEU-PSHS-2014-0001. Therefore, we will not accept any applications after 11:59 P.M., March 14, 2014 for vacancy announcement DEU-PSHS-2014-0003. In order to be considered for the position you MUST apply to vacancy announcement DEU-PSHS-2014-0001.
Note: If you have previously applied to DEU-PSHS-2014-0003 you need not reapply to vacancy announcement DEU-PSHS-2014-0001 unless you have changes/updates to your application. All applications received for this position prior to March 14, 2014 will receive consideration.
This position is located in the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau/Operations and Emergency Management Division (OEMD). Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- Suitable for employment as determined by a background investigation.
- Must submit a financial disclosure statement upon assuming the position
- Drug Testing Required
- Security Clearance Required
- US Citizenship
- Serve a probationary period of one year, if applicable.
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent will serve as the Deputy Division Chief for the Operations and Emergency Management Division (OEMD) responsible for policy, regulatory, and administrative matters related to national security and emergency preparedness (NS/EP) communications, homeland security, information collection requirements (e.g. network outage reports), continuity of operations, intelligence regarding threats to communications infrastructure, and defense activities. The Deputy Division Chief determines resource requirements for the Division, develops plans for Division objectives, identifies actions that can be taken to improve efficiency and economy of operations, establish priorities, and provides advice on matters having public safety implications or significant impact on the Division's activities. The Deputy Division Chief has a primary responsibility for budget development and financial analysis of the Division's initiatives. The Deputy Division Chief evaluates progress of the Division on an ongoing basis through discussion with subordinates, reviews of reports and presentations, and takes action to redefine goals, reallocate resources, or otherwise expedite activities. Deputy Division Chief provides advice and analysis to Division and Bureau leadership on the financial and economic implications and repercussions of regulations and helps develop innovative policy options that achieve the goals of the Commission. Deputy Division Chief participates in conferences relating to national and homeland security issues, participates on panels and makes speeches as an expert on all matters within the purview of the Division, and serves on various government and industry committees. The Deputy Division Chief also serves as a primary point of contact for Division with national security officials, defense officials, cybersecurity officials, public safety officials, industry associations, and other governmental entities.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must meet eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 in the Federal service. For this position, specialized experience includes the following:
- Experience implementing the full range of emergency management regulations, policies, Presidential Directives, and programs, including, but not limited to Continuity of Government, Continuity of Operations, ESF-2 and the National Response Framework;
- Demonstrated experience designing and/or conducting national-level emergency planning, preparedness, and response and recovery capabilities and exercises at a Federal, State, or local level including the development of tools and systems that measure the effectiveness and improvement of the programs;
- Providing expert advice and guidance on national security/emergency preparedness communications issues; and
- Supervising or leading a subordinate staff.
Please note your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the vacancy questions. Your resume is an integral part of the process for determining if you meet the basic qualifications of the position and determining if you are to be among the best qualified.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
All applicants will be rated on the extent and quality of experience and education relevant to the duties of the position. The FCC determines the BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES based on the major job related competencies and evaluation of your knowledge, skills, and abilities reflected in your application and supporting documents using the CATEGORY RATING PROCESS. All eligible applicants under Delegated Examining (DEU) will be placed in one of the following three categories:
1. Highly Qualified (Score 90-100) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of major job related competencies and possession of all evaluation criteria;
2. Fully Qualified (Score 80-89) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of major job related competencies and possession of the evaluation criteria; and
3. Minimally Qualified (Score of 70-79)- the applicants possessing only the specialized experience described in the vacancy announcement.
An automated score is administered based on the on-line application process used. Eligible applicants will receive a numerical rating based on their responses to the job specific questions for this position submitted via the FCCJobs website.
Application of Veterans Preference: The category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have compensable service-connected disability at least 10 percent MUST be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
A selecting official may make selection from the highest quality category ("HIGHLY QUALIFIED") provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in the same category.
Applicants under Merit Promotion will be considered in accordance with the agency's merit promotion plan and union agreement.
There are several parts to the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application including:
1. the core questions (answered when you register in FCCJobs);
2. the vacancy questions (answered when you apply for this vacancy). To view the vacancy questions please visit our website at FCCJobs and click on Search Public Jobs Now' and view the announcement as well as the vacancy questions;
3. supplemental documentation (e.g., DD-214, SF-50, SF-15, transcripts), if applicable; and
4. your resume or C.V.;
Applicants will be rated ineligible, if they do not respond to job specific questions and submit resume. For more information, please click on Rating Process.
You will be evaluated for this position on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs):
- Knowledge of planning, directing, and managing activities related to national security and emergency preparedness.
- Ability to communicate orally on issues related to national security and public safety.
- Ability to develop and implement policies and regulations related to national security and public safety.
- Skill and demonstrated experience in supervising or leading a subordinate staff.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply to this announcement go to FCCJobs
. Your application, including resume, all supplemental documents, registration information and answers to job specific questions must be received no later than midnight U.S. Eastern time of the closing date. For more information, please click on How to Apply
, Applying for Jobs
, and Inputting Resumes
. If you have question or problems with password or logging in, please click on Passwords, IDs, and Logging In
If applying online poses a hardship, please contact the Federal Communications Commission's Human Resources Office at (202) 418-0130 during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time) prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Qualified applicants may be further reviewed and rated by Subject Matter Experts to determine the validity of on-line question responses in accordance with the Commission's Basic Negotiated Agreement.
***Your resume must clearly document how you meet the specialized experience in order to meet the minimum qualification requirements for this vacancy. Some positions require supplemental document(s). All required supporting documents MUST be received in the FCC'S Human Resources Office by midnight U.S. Eastern Time of the closing date of the announcement, as specified in this announcement. If you do not submit a required document (e.g. transcripts, etc.) your application will be considered incomplete and you will not receive further consideration. Additionally, you may not receive the special consideration, e.g. Vet's Preference, for which you may be eligible without the appropriate supporting documentation. Once you apply to this vacancy you will be prompted by the system to either upload the documents or print fax coversheets to fax the documents. The fax number will be listed on this sheet. If faxing, supplemental document(s) required should be faxed separately on the fax coversheet provided. Once faxed, you should receive an email confirmation within an hour. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your fax has not been successfully received and you should fax again. If you are unable to fax the required documentation, contact the Human Resources Office at 202-418-0130 prior to 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.***
Hardcopy Supplement Documents Required:
1. When the area of consideration is "Government-Wide" or "All U.S. Citizens." current Federal employees, including those eligible for noncompetitive transfer or reassignment, must provide a legible hardcopy of Personnel Action, SF-50, that verifies your status and highest permanently held grade along with your most recent annual performance appraisal.
2. ICTAP eligible candidates must submit a copy of their most recent annual performance appraisal (at least "Meets or Exceeds" or equivalent) and proof of eligibility such as a RIF separation notice or letter from OPM, or your agency documenting your priority consideration status. You must be rated fully qualified (a score of 80 or above) for the position.
3. If applying for consideration under a non-competitive appointment such as Schedule A, Excepted Service, all documentation establishing your eligibility must be provided.
4. Veterans MUST submit form DD-214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," or an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
5. College Transcripts (For Positive Education Required positions and if qualifying based on education and or experience and education.), if applicable.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once your complete application is received, we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications to determine your ranking. The best-qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome.