About the Agency
The Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States, providing more than 40 percent of total funding for this vital area of national importance. It oversees - and is the principal federal funding agency of - the Nation's research programs in high-energy physics, nuclear physics, and fusion energy sciences. The Office of Science manages fundamental research programs in basic energy sciences, biological and environmental sciences, and computational science. In addition, the Office of Science is the Federal Government's largest single funder of materials and chemical sciences, and it supports unique and vital parts of U.S. research in climate change, geophysics, genomics, life sciences, and science education. The Office of Science manages this research portfolio through six interdisciplinary program offices: Advanced Scientific Computing Research, Basic Energy Sciences, Biological and Environmental Research, Fusion Energy Sciences, High Energy Physics and Nuclear Physics. In addition, the Office of Science sponsors a range of science education initiatives through its Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists program.
The Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of the Deputy Director for Science Programs, is seeking a motivated and highly qualified individual to serve as a Visual Information Specialist. See Duty Section for additional information.
If selected for this position, you will:
- Serve as a technical expert and advisor to senior management and scientific staff on internet information technology.
- Serve as the Organization's internal consultant in the field of visual information. Plan and design visual materials and develop and maintain a visual information library.
- Communicate complex technical requirements, anticipate future requirements and capabilities for internet services required, and recommend solutions and the software and server technology needed to design, develop, and deliver changes to the web sites and facilitate future updates.
- Plan, design, and perform activities associated with innovative web customizations and enhancements.
- Lead cross-disciplinary teams to develop new web site designs and to plan for deployment, and to implement the use of software for managing web content.
- Serve as a project manager for various visual information efforts. Provide planning and policy advice to senior management, and prepare and present briefings on complex controversial issues.