Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1059020
Our Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans". How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, Ohio has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
NOTE: A Professional Standard Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for a Social Worker. The Social Worker will function in Social Work Service under the Mental Health Intensive Case Management (MHICM) team. The Social Worker serves in the community, those veterans with severe and persistent mental illness. The position will be based in Parma, but will require extensive travel in a government vehicle covering Cuyahoga county and other surrounding counties. The work schedule of this position is Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. The Social Worker duties include:
- Participating in the admission/screening process by interviewing patients and/or other stakeholders.
- Completing intake data collection with purpose of establishing treatment for Severely Mentally Ill (SMI) psychiatric disorders in a case management setting.
- Participating in or facilitating selected supportive groups related to the treatment of SMI psychiatric disorders.
- Conducting individual counseling.
- Conducting psycho educational activities following professionally prepared resource guides.
- Functioning as a case manager for a prescribed number of SMI veterans.
- Preparing and implementing treatment plans developed in concert with the veteran's multidisciplinary team.
- Completing all NEPEC paperwork within established timeframes for veterans on current caseload.
- Acting as a liaison between staff, veteran and stakeholders in the development and review of treatment plans.
- Providing ongoing assessment of substance abuse issues and referring to appropriate treatment programs as indicated.
- Participating in periodic review of ongoing treatment of patients under the care of the MHICM team.
- Assisting veteran to (1) adjust to current living situation, (2) explore areas of deficit in activities of daily living, (3) provide and/or arrange skill building educational activities, (4) explore areas of psychosocial conflicts or trauma seeking resolution or psychological stability by using a "Recovery Model" based approach.
- Using supportive/facilitative techniques with veterans and their stakeholders to help them better communicate with each other and, when necessary, help confront problem behaviors.
- Acting as a resource and liaison person to public and private providers and agencies to assure continuity of care and appropriate referrals for veterans and their stakeholders as levels of care change.
- Conducting or assisting in carrying out planned QA studies or research projects.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.