Job Title: Senior Level, Chief Information Technology ArchitectJob Announcement Number: OCIO-2014-0006
Department: Department Of Commerce
Agency: Patent and Trademark Office
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, February 13, 2014 to
Thursday, March 06, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from all qualified individuals.
Please review the announcement (OCIO-2014-0005) to determine if you are eligible for consideration under the USPTO's Merit Promotion Program.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
About the Agency
Searching for a challenge where experience is valued? Looking for an exciting opportunity in a diverse and established workforce? Don't miss this chance to join the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a Chief Information Technology Architect. We are seeking a highly experienced, enthusiast and strategic Chief IT (Software Systems) Architect to act as the true end-to-end technology interlock between the Chief Technology Officer across business systems. The best fit for this technical leadership role would be someone who has cutting-edge hands on technical skills. You will find yourself connecting innovation and intellectual property within a challenging workforce among other technology driven professionals. This position will provide you with exposure for leadership opportunities that will take your career places you never imagined. Work for the largest Intellectual Property Rights Firm in the United States - United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The USPTO has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries.
The Senior Level (SL), Chief IT (Software Systems) Architect is the principal advisor to the Director of Application Engineering and Development/Chief Technology Officer and the Chief Information Officer on analysis, planning, design, implementation, documentation, assessment, and management of the structural framework to align IT technology, plans, and systems with the mission, goals, structure and processes of the organization. The Chief IT (Software Systems) Architect develops plans for transitioning to target architecture while documenting key processes, and ensures that the systems conform to information security policies, practices and applicable federal mandates.
You’ll have access to alternative, flexible work schedules and highly competitive benefits in a stable, professional team environment. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to work with cutting edge technology that defines, enforces and protects the Intellectual Property of the United States around the world. Please review the announcement to determine if you are eligible and visit our website www.usptocareers.gov for more information on benefits and how to apply.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Work effectively both autonomously and within a matrixed team
- Furnish a complete application, demonstrating your qualifications
- Live or be willing to relocate to the Washington, DC metro region
- Possess comprehensive, recent experience in the duties described
- Successfully complete a security background investigation
DUTIES:Back to top
The Chief IT Architect develops plans for transitioning to target architecture while documenting the key processes. The Chief Architect will ensure that the systems conform to information security policies and practices along with any other federal mandates. The Chief IT Architect helps to mentor and review technology deliverables from federal and contractor employees for architectural and coding deficiencies and helps mentor programs for optimal performance and efficiency.
Specifically, the Chief IT Architect will:
■Provide direction to the CIO and CTO on all aspects necessary to deliver new systems such as planning, architecture, design, development, legacy migration, testing security, delivery and operations
■Provide technical direction for all Application Engineering Development Divisions for ongoing architecture, design, software development, development environments, deployment and operations and maintenance
■Develop and establish processes by which emerging and open source technologies are identified and incorporated into future development efforts
■Possess experience in creating, driving, and realizing a complex end to end solution and how decision/design impacts architecture delivery
■Articulate the architectural vision, conceptualizing and experimenting with alternative architectural approaches, creating models and component and interface specification documents, and validating the architecture against requirements and assumptions
■Communicate effectively at both the executive, customer, and developer levels
■Interpret business requirements and translates them into technical requirements
Participate in Enterprise Architecture Governance Board, provides oversight to SOA Governance, Best Practices and Standards for all systems
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum requirements for this position, candidates must have mastery/expert level of experience in all seven of the following areas (Mastery/Expert experience can be defined as 7-10+ years of recent and progressively higher levels of experience). Your answers to the Professional Technical Qualifications and Resume must demonstrate the below experience in order to move forward in the recruitment process. Please be sure to provide narrative responses to all questions.
- 1.Demonstrated work experience as a Software Systems Architect- defined as an Enterprise Architect, Solution/Project Architect, Business Architect, Information Architect, Application Architect, Chief Architect, Systems Architect and/or Technology Architect, AND
- 1.Enterprise level experience in designing and delivering several large scale production quality software systems focused on N-Tier architectures in distributed systems with large databases and high transaction throughput, AND
- 1.Designed and delivered high availability architecture; i.e. a system design approach that ensures a prearranged level of operational performance will be met during a contractual measurement period (e.g. systems that are required to operate continuously), AND
- 1.Designed and delivered Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and have hands-on experience in architecting web service solutions, AND
- 1.Experience in Agile project delivery methodology, AND
- 1.Developed and delivered technical requirement specifications and architectural documents, AND
- 1.Enterprise level experience in architecting capacity and performance, and tuning issues for large scale software systems.
You will be required upon selection to submit an OGE-278 Financial Disclosure Form within 30 days of your start date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
In order to be considered for this position you must demonstrate in your application package that you meet the minimum specialized experience as defined under the "Qualifications" section, answer the Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs), and submit a detailed resume that supports your answers to the PTQs and specialized experience.
Your responses to the PTQs and resume will be evaluated by a Human Resources Specialist and/or a subject matter expert. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or for changing your scored responses to questions you've answered, which may affect your overall final score. Please note that a complete application is required for consideration. (Please review the "Required Documents" section of this job announcement to see what must be included in a complete application).
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
apply online. Email, fax or paper resumes will not be accepted.
If you experience difficulties with the application process, it is your responsibility to contact the HR Specialist listed in the "Contact Information" before the closing date of this job announcement.If you are a new user to the USAJobs Site and have never registered for an account; you will first need to create an account profile with your basic contact information and a resume to begin applying. You must be a registered USAJobs user AND you must be signed-in to your account in order to apply for this job. For help setting up an account or for general help using USAJobs, go to USAJobs Help Page.
Once you have gathered all of the required information and are ready to begin the application process, click the "APPLY ONLINE" button at the right side of the page. You will then be directed away from USAJobs to the Department of Commerce application site for USPTO.NEED HELP?If you experience any difficulties with the application site, help is available! If you have problems completing your on-line application, contact the Monster Hiring Management Help Desk at 1-866-656-6831 or by e-mail at MGSHELP@monster.com. The help desk is available Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time. You may call and leave a voice mail message at all other times.
All required supporting documents will be collected electronically via the USAJobs "Saved Documents" feature.
A complete application consists of: 1. A resume or any other written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications; optional cover letter: Your resume should indicate your citizenship and should list your educational and work experience including job titles, salary, employment dates, duties and accomplishments, experience and how it relates to the PTQs in the job announcement. Please Note: Responses to job questions that are not fully supported by the information in your resume may result in adjustments to your rating. Any experience claimed in a cover letter should be substantiated by information contained in your resume.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who meet the minimum eligibility and qualification requirements for this position may be contacted within 7 business days of the closing date of this announcement to submit follow-up supporting documentation if applicable. Applicants claiming veterans' preference entitlement or CTAP/ICTAP eligibility who fail to submit supplemental documentation within 5 business days of receiving the request will not lose consideration for this position, however they will not be entitled to special or priority consideration. Supporting documents that may be requested of applicants after the closing date of this announcement are:
1. Veterans' Preference Documentation: If you are a veteran with preference eligibility, you will be asked to submit a Member 4 copy of your DD-214. If you are a preference eligible claiming a service connected disability of 10 percent or more, you will be asked to submit documentation (i.e. a letter dated 1991 or later from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces) certifying to the veteran's present receipt of compensation. Veterans must include dates of military service within the automated application process, and submit Member 4 copy of each Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214. For more information, please visit http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp#6.
2. Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) documentation: Applicants will be asked to submit:
(1) A copy of your specific RIF notice, written notice of your expected separation or other documentation of priority consideration status;
(2) A copy of your latest SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location;
(3) A copy of your last performance appraisal; and
(4) Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
You can choose ONE of the following methods to submit Supporting Documents:
1) You can upload your documents when you register or update your information on the Department of Commerce application site which you access through the USAJobs site.
2) You can fax your documents to 571-258-4052 using the system generated fax cover sheet.Your application and all required documentation must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the closing date of this job announcement.NOTE: The preceding documentation requirements are based on job requirements and individual applicant eligibility. Not all documents are applicable to all applicants--if you are unsure which documents apply to you, contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses to job questions that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your rating. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the hiring official.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will receive a notice generated by the USAJobs System when you have successfully submitted your application. After all application packages have been received, we will review your application and transcript(s) (if you are qualifying based on education) to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and you may be contacted for follow-up supplemental documentation. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide any supplemental documents or information requested by the Office of Human Resources within the allocated timeframes. Failure to submit requested documents or information within 5 business days of receiving the request may result in your application not receiving further consideration. You can check the status of your application by logging into USAJobs
. You may also sign up to receive automatic emails anytime the status of your application has changed by logging into your USAJobs Account, editing your profile and changing the 'Notification Settings' to indicate that you want to be notified by email when the status changes. Information regarding the status of your application should be updated in the system within 2 weeks after the closing date of this job announcement.