Job Title:IT Specialist (Database Administrator Developer)
Agency:Postal Regulatory Commission
Job Announcement Number:PRC-01-14
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, February 14, 2014 to
Friday, March 14, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
Come join the Postal Regulatory Commission!
The Postal Regulatory Commission has an exciting employment opportunity for a highly motivated, highly skilled person with experience as a IT Specialist (Database Administrator/Developer).
The Postal Regulatory Commission is an independent agency that is part of the executive branch of the federal government. As a small agency, we provide the opportunity to work in a professional and collegial environment with talented and committed staff and directly contribute to the Commissions mission.
OFFICE OF SECRETARY AND ADMINISTRATION
The Office of Secretary and Administration is responsible for providing support to the Commission by recording official actions and by overseeing general Commission administration including human resources, contracting, the docket room, information technology, and other support services, such as the mail and supply room. The Office must prepare and submit a formal annual budget to the Office of Management and Budget for the Commissions expenses, and manage the Commissions budget and finances throughout the year. The Office of Secretary and Administration serves the Commissioners, the U.S. Postal Service, the mailing community, the public, consultants, vendors, as well as the Office of Personnel Management, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Labor, Office of Management and Budget, and National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
DUTIES:Back to top
Serves in the Office of the Secretary and Administration, which is the focal point for information technology operational support for the Commission. The incumbent serves as a technical expert utilizing his/her knowledge of database and internet systems, services, and technologies to assist in the design, development, testing, implementation, and management of database and website activities at the Postal Regulatory Commission. The incumbent provides design, implementation, maintenance and repair of the Commissions databases and developing distributed network applications that are run over HTTP from a web server to a web browser. This position may require duty after business hours and weekend service. The incumbent will:
- Perform logical and physical database design, monitoring, and modification for a relational database management system and writing SQL scripts to monitor performance.
- Support computer database administration, to include:
- Document database architecture
- Analyze, consolidate and tune database for optimal efficiency
- Ensure that storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning correctly
- Maintain database high availability using clustering, mirroring and failover technologies
- Diagnose, restore and recover corrupted databases and system failures
- Install and test upgrades and patches
- Implement security and encryption
- Evaluate and recommend new database technologies
- Maintain web applications using C#, ASP.Net
- Familiarity with Drupal
- Provide technical leadership in website development, with emphasis on fully leveraging the content management system/database
- Provide quality customer service in the development, production, and integration of the database and web to enable customers to successfully meet their business goals.
- Provide 24/7 support for critical situations
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The work requires analytical ability, judgment, discretion, and knowledge of a substantial body of administrative or program principles, concepts, policies, and objectives.
Postal Regulatory Commission 901 New York Avenue, NW Suite 200 Washington, DC 20268
SPECIFIC CRITICAL COMPETENCIES INCLUDE
1. Ability to effectively communicate complex concepts both orally and in writing
2. Ability to organize time and tasks to successfully complete activities
3. Ability to collaborate with others in a team
4. Problem solving, critical thinking/analytical, and investigative/research skills
5. Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS
1. Oracle DBA skills (10g)
2. Web development skills (Microsoft .Net/Java)
Optional Technical Qualifications
1. Basic windows server skills (2003/2008)
2. Basic networking skills
3. Skill in preparing and communicating the results of analysis to diverse audiences
1. Oracle Certified Professional
2. Microsoft Certified Solution Developer for Microsoft .NET
A. College degree with major study in one of the following areas: computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering; or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
B. At least two years of experience as a database administrator for a relational database management system. This experience included performing logical and physical database design, building new databases, and modifying existing databases. Work required knowledge and experience with database configuration management practices including database security, backup and recovery, and account management. Some experience writing SQL script to monitor
database performance for evaluation and tuning. Your analytical approaches and results were very generally reviewed for technical and professional adequacy. Additionally, experience reviewing complex IT related data from multiple sources and determining relevant information; drafting, editing and disseminating written reports and status updates; maintaining relationships with customers with diverse needs; providing technical or complex information about products and services; assessing customers needs and identifying or tailoring products and services to meet them; resolving complex or non-routine issues; explaining moderately complex ideas or information clearly; listening to others and recognizing potential miscommunications; identifying and solving problems by gathering and applying information from a variety of materials or sources.
C. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be evaluated and ranked by a screening panel based on evidence of ability to successfully perform the duties of the position. The panel will forward the highest ranked candidates to the office director for selection.
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must have experience that has equipped them with the ability, skill and knowledge to successfully perform the duties of this position. Typically, experience is related to this line of work and at a level similar to this position. Applicants must meet the mandatory technical qualifications described below. Please describe experience relative to the technical qualifications.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Relocation expenses are not authorized.
You will be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
You must be a U.S. citizen or national to be eligible for this position.
If you are a male born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under Selective Service Law.
The U.S. Postal Regulatory Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Selection for this position will be made solely on the basis of merit, fitness for duty, and job related qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, color, age, marital status, national origin, non-disqualifying handicapping condition, or any other non-merit factor. Applications will not be accepted if you use franked envelopes, or postage paid agency envelopes or metered mail.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Applicants are required to submit the following:
1. Resume showing relevant experience; (If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must indicate the type of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume)
2. Five-year salary history
3. A minimum of three references (at least one professional)
4. Five point veterans must submit a DD214
5. Ten point veterans must submit the following:
a. A copy of your DD-214
b. Application for 10-point Veterans preference, SF-15 http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf
c. A copy of the official letter from VA, dated 1991 or later, certifying the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of disability
d. If you're currently serving on Active Duty: submit a statement of service from your unit identifying the branch of service, period(s) of service, campaign badges or expeditionary medals earned, type of discharge, character of service, and the date you will be separated or be on approved terminal leave. If you supply a statement of service at this stage, your preference/eligibility will be verified by a DD214 (Member 4 Copy) upon separation from the military.
To gain access to your DD214 online, please visit: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit:
1. Cover letter, one page maximum
2. Optional Form 3046-0466, Demographic Information on Applicants (voluntary) http://www.prc.gov/prc-pages/about/hr/OMB_FORM_3046-0046.pdf
Submit application materials to:
The complete application will be accepted via email only, the email address is: email@example.com Application packages will NOT be accepted via mail or fax. All applications must be received by 11:59 pm on March 7, 2014.
For more information:
You can get forms and additional information from by contacting Sherri Proctor at 202-789-6869.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once your complete application is received, we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your ranking. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome.
Prior to any interview, you will be expected to provide a writing sample that exemplifies your ability to describe legal and/or technical concepts clearly, understandably, and persuasively.