Job Title:Animal Keeper (Exotic Large Carnivores)
Job Announcement Number:14R-LG-299168-DEU-NZP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Wednesday, February 12, 2014 to
Wednesday, February 26, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|FEW vacancies -
Washington DC, DC View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #14R-LG-299168-DEU-NZP.|
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Your overall experience and training must indicate that you have the minimum knowledge, skills, abilities needed to perform the duties of
this position. There is no substitution of education for experience for this position. Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Additional information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations can be found on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm .
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
How you will be evaluated:
Applications will first be evaluated to determine whether the following screen out element is met:
If an applicant meets the screen-out element, the following Job Elements will be evaluated:
- Ability to do the work of an experienced Animal Keeper without more than normal supervision demonstrated by experience performing a full range of specialized duties that contribute to the proper care, feeding, training, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of exotic, large carnivores.
Applicants who meet or exceed the screen-out element will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria:
- Knowledge of the care of cheetahs and/or giant pandas and experience gathering data to share knowledge with colleagues and peers.
- Knowledge of animal behavior for natural behavior patterns (courtship, breeding, aggression, etc.) and for recognizing symptoms of unusual behavior (illness, injury, etc.).
- Knowledge and experience in animal handling for routine care and capture and restraint.
- Skill in conducting formal and informal animal shows, demonstrations, talks, and tours.
- Knowledge of animal enrichment and training, and experience designing and implementing these with animals.
Best Category - Meets the screen-out element and excels in most of the job related elements above.
Better Category - Meets the screen-out element and satisfies most of the job related elements above.
Good Category - Meets the screen-out element, but does not satisfy most of the job related elements above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-veterans within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no veteran in that category is passed over to select a non-veteran in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
Veterans who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the announcement questions will not be considered for this position.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.