Job Title:Animal Keeper (Exotic Large Carnivores)
Job Announcement Number:14R-LG-299168-MPA-NZP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Wednesday, February 12, 2014 to
Wednesday, February 26, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|FEW vacancies -
Washington DC, DC View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.|
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Your overall experience and training must indicate that you have the minimum knowledge, skills, abilities needed to perform the duties of
this position. There is no substitution of education for experience for this position. Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Additional information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations can be found on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm .
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the job opportunity announcement.
For information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, see OPM’s web
site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm .
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the screen-out element described below:
If an applicant meets the screen-out element, the following Job Elements will be evaluated:
- Ability to do the work of an experienced Animal Keeper without more than normal supervision demonstrated by experience performing a full range of specialized duties that contribute to the proper care, feeding, training, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of exotic, large carnivores.
- Knowledge of the care of cheetahs and/or giant pandas and experience gathering data to share knowledge with colleagues and peers.
- Knowledge of animal behavior for natural behavior patterns (courtship, breeding, aggression, etc.) and for recognizing symptoms of unusual behavior (illness, injury, etc.).
- Knowledge and experience in animal handling for routine care and capture and restraint.
- Skill in conducting formal and informal animal shows, demonstrations, talks, and tours.
- Knowledge of animal enrichment and training, and experience designing and implementing these with animals.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.