The Bureau of Indian Affairs is the lead agency for the United States in carrying on a government-to-government relationship with the tribal nations. A challenging and dynamic place to work, it enhances the quality of life, promotes economic opportunity, and carries out the responsibility to protect and improve the trust assets of American Indians, Indian tribes and Alaska Natives.
The Bureau of Indian Affairs' Reston Human Resources Office is looking for an experienced outgoing, self-starting HR Assistant to provide support to a small HR office in the areas of recruitment, employee benefits, new hire orientation, and processing payroll changes in an automated system.
This position requires previous experience in human resources processing the full range of federal personnel actions using an automated payroll/personnel processing system, providing administrative support related to recruitment and benefits, and researching and resolving complex payroll issues.
This position is being advertised concurrently with CD-14-PQ1049845(MP) using Merit Promotion procedures. Status applicants who wish to be considered under both merit promotion and competitive examining procedures must apply directly to each announcement.
Whom May Apply
· U.S. Citizens
The major duties of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Processes personnel actions (such as new hires, terminations, promotions, etc.) in the Federal Personnel Payroll System
- Conducts new employee orientation
- Provides basic benefits information to employees
- Inputs vacancy announcements in an automated recruitment system
- Responds to general applicant inquiries
- Reviews applications and makes qualification determinations for certain positions
- Assists in the classification process for certain positions
- Maintains electronic employee personnel files