Job Title: Lead Human Resources AssistantJob Announcement Number: CD-14-PQ1049850 (DEU)
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 to
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Reston, VA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Public Trust - Background Investigation
The Bureau of Indian Affairs is the lead agency for the United States in carrying on a government-to-government relationship with the tribal nations. A challenging and dynamic place to work, it enhances the quality of life, promotes economic opportunity, and carries out the responsibility to protect and improve the trust assets of American Indians, Indian tribes and Alaska Natives.
This position is located in the Human Resources Operations-East Office, Office of Human Capital Management, Deputy Assistant Secretary-Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs in Reston, Virginia. If selected, you will serve as the Lead Human Resources Assistant over a team of Human Resources Assistants, and will be responsible for the oversight of all personnel action processing, data integrity, quality reviews, and the entrance on duty function. This position serves as liaison and primary point of contact between Human Resources (HR) Specialists and Human Resources (HR) Assistants, and ensures processes and procedures are kept in line with program goals and emerging regulations and guidance. The incumbent is responsible for providing technical support in the areas of staffing, classification, benefits, and automated personnel/payroll processing, and assists one or more HR Specialists in carrying out these duties
This position is being advertised concurrently with CD-14-PQ1049855 (MP) using Merit Promotion procedures. Status applicants who wish to be considered under both merit promotion and competitive examining procedures must apply directly to each announcement.
Whom May Apply
· U.S. Citizens
- U.S. Citizenship required
- This position is subject to a pre-employment background investigation
DUTIES:Back to top
The major duties of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as technical processing expert on personnel action processing issues, handles or oversees the processing of sensitive and complicated cases, i.e., back pay cases, settlement agreements, reconstruction of OPFs, etc. Processes the full range of personnel actions including appointments, reassignments, promotions, transfers, and separations. Uses the Guide to Processing Personnel Actions to determine nature of action code, authority and required remarks. Codes and inputs data into FPPS .
- Provides on the job training for HR Assistants, and trains new employees. Reviews completed work or work in progress for conformance to regulations, policy, procedures and deadlines.
- Monitors and balances workload among employees to ensure timely accomplishment of work in cases of absences, peak workload periods or special projects.
- Inputs vacancy announcements into USA Staffing. Reviews applications to make eligibility and qualification determinations. Answers job applicant inquiries.
- Serves as lead on human resources management files and records maintenance and disposition, including OPFs, EPFs, Medical Folders, and merit promotion vacancy announcement files. Oversees the accurate filing of documents in files and folders in accordance with the Guide to Personnel Recordkeeping and the General Records Schedule. Responsible for establishment and maintenance of tracking logs and forms.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
One year of specialized experience: (1) processing the full range of personnel actions using an automated Federal payroll/personnel processing system (i.e. FPPS, NFC, etc.) including appointments, separations, transfers, and promotions; (2) providing guidance concerning FEHB and FEGLI programs and processing enrollment changes; (3) researching and resolving complex payroll issues including processing multi-year corrections; and (4) providing technical guidance, assistance, training, or leadership to co-workers or lower-graded employees concerning personnel action processing.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Category Rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The categories are Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Veterans preference rules for category rating will be applied. Qualified applicants will be rated based on their possession of the knowledge and experience requirements below:
- Skill in processing personnel actions
- Skill in customer service and performing new hire orientations
- Skill in researching and correcting payroll errors
- Leadership ability
Selective Service: If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package will be evaluated against the minimum qualification requirements specified above. In order to qualify, your resume must specifically describe your work history and the duties you performed for each position.
Qualified Indian preference candidates will be referred to the hiring manager in order of veterans' preference.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must apply to this position via the USAJOBS website. If you do not already have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one.
- Click APPLY ONLINE to the right.
- Follow the instuctions on USAJOBS to submit your resume.
- Complete the online questionniare.
- Upload any additional required documents.
We strongly recommend you uploading your documents electronically. However, if you are unable to upload supporting documents:
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1049850.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, February 18, 2014.
HOW TO VERIFY YOUR APPLICATION AND DOCUMENTS RECEIVED
You may verify receipt of your application and any faxed or uploaded documents at any time:
- Log in to your USAJOBS account.
- Click the "Application Status" link.
- Locate this vacancy and click the "more information" link.
- You will be displayed the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence we have sent you. NOTE: Your faxed documents may take a day or two to display.
The following documents are required for this position:
- Resume showing detailed work experience
- On-line Assessment Questionnaire
- Transcripts (if using education to qualify)
- Veterans Preference Documentation (if claiming veterans preference) VA letter on VA letterhead that states your overall combined rating, SF-15, DD-214 (copy 4) that indicates an honorable discharge.
- BIA Form 4432 (if claiming Indian preference), link: http://www.bia.gov/DocumentLibrary/index.htm
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59PM Eastern Time (Washington, DC time) ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. If your application package is incomplete in any way, you will not be considered for this position, and requests for extensions will not be granted. Please double check your application package BEFORE you submit it.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If you have properly submitted your online questionnaire, you will receive a confirmation message. You may want to check the spam folder from your email provider to ensure you receive your messages.