The Bureau of Indian Affairs is the lead agency for the United States in carrying on a government-to-government relationship with the tribal nations. A challenging and dynamic place to work, it enhances the quality of life, promotes economic opportunity, and carries out the responsibility to protect and improve the trust assets of American Indians, Indian tribes and Alaska Natives.
This position is located in the Human Resources Operations-East Office, Office of Human Capital Management, Deputy Assistant Secretary-Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs in Reston, Virginia. If selected, you will serve as the Lead Human Resources Assistant over a team of Human Resources Assistants, and will be responsible for the oversight of all personnel action processing, data integrity, quality reviews, and the entrance on duty function. This position serves as liaison and primary point of contact between Human Resources (HR) Specialists and Human Resources (HR) Assistants, and ensures processes and procedures are kept in line with program goals and emerging regulations and guidance. The incumbent is responsible for providing technical support in the areas of staffing, classification, benefits, and automated personnel/payroll processing, and assists one or more HR Specialists in carrying out these duties
This position is being advertised concurrently with CD-14-PQ1049855 (MP) using Merit Promotion procedures. Status applicants who wish to be considered under both merit promotion and competitive examining procedures must apply directly to each announcement.
Whom May Apply
· U.S. Citizens
The major duties of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as technical processing expert on personnel action processing issues, handles or oversees the processing of sensitive and complicated cases, i.e., back pay cases, settlement agreements, reconstruction of OPFs, etc. Processes the full range of personnel actions including appointments, reassignments, promotions, transfers, and separations. Uses the Guide to Processing Personnel Actions to determine nature of action code, authority and required remarks. Codes and inputs data into FPPS .
- Provides on the job training for HR Assistants, and trains new employees. Reviews completed work or work in progress for conformance to regulations, policy, procedures and deadlines.
- Monitors and balances workload among employees to ensure timely accomplishment of work in cases of absences, peak workload periods or special projects.
- Inputs vacancy announcements into USA Staffing. Reviews applications to make eligibility and qualification determinations. Answers job applicant inquiries.
- Serves as lead on human resources management files and records maintenance and disposition, including OPFs, EPFs, Medical Folders, and merit promotion vacancy announcement files. Oversees the accurate filing of documents in files and folders in accordance with the Guide to Personnel Recordkeeping and the General Records Schedule. Responsible for establishment and maintenance of tracking logs and forms.