Job Title: Attorney AdviserJob Announcement Number: 14-IN-1047474-FB
Agency: Securities and Exchange Commission
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 to
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Agency Employees Only NTE 1 year
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current SEC Enforcement Employees ONLY
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is looking for the best and brightest to join our team. Our mission includes advocating for investors who seek to secure a future for their family, providing guidance and regulations for the nations securities industry in an increasingly global market, and taking action with an eye toward promoting the capital formation necessary to sustain economic growth.
A career with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) offers work that is exciting, challenging and rewarding. You can contribute to securities regulation and enforcement while making a positive difference for the American investing public. The SEC provides:
- Careers that broaden and deepen your already accomplished knowledge, skills and abilities;
- An environment that allows you to work and learn with the nations experts;
- Benefits, compensation and career expansion opportunities; and
- A balance between your professional and family life.
To find out more about the SEC, go to http://www.sec.gov.
The SEC offers a number of enhanced pay and benefits plus the standard Federal benefits:
- Paid dental and vision insurance;
- Subsidy for health insurance, which supplements your health benefits premiums by $25 for self-only coverage and by $50 for family coverage;
- Domestic Partner Health Insurance Reimbursement Program;
- Mass transportation subsidy;
- "WorkSmart" - Opportunities for flexible work schedules and expanded telework
The Division of Enforcement investigates possible violations of securities laws, recommends Commission action when appropriate, either in a federal court or before an administrative law judge, and negotiates settlements. The Complex Financial Instruments Unit (CFI) investigates how public companies, asset managers and large financial institutions utilize complex financial instruments to hedge or shift risk, generate returns, or affect capital levels. CFI also monitors opaque OTC markets for potential misconduct, and brings enforcement actions against entities and individuals engaging in harmful market practices.
This position will be located in the Division of Enforcement, Complex Financial Instruments Unit (CFI) at Headquarters in Washington, D.C., or in one of the regional offices.
- J.D or LL.B
- Active membership of the bar in good standing
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: All applicants must possess the following
- J.D. or LL.B. degree
- Active membership of the bar in good standing in any state, territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, applicants must have one year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to at least the SK-14 grade level as a practicing attorney applying knowledge of the Federal securities laws, conducting investigations, and providing interpretative advice on issues relating to investigations of violations of Federal securities laws, rules and regulations.
1. This is a temporary promotion not-to-exceed 2 years. Employees on temporary promotion may be returned at any time to the position from temporarily promoted.
2. Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
3. Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
4. FULL PERFORMANCE LEVEL: This position has promotion potential to the SK-16.
5. PROBATIONARY PERIOD: This appointment may require completion of a trial period.
6. PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (PCS): Moving/Relocation expenses are not authorized.
7. TIME-IN-GRADE: All applicants must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
8. This position is in the collective bargaining unit.
Surplus or Displaced Federal Employees: For information on how to apply through the Career Transition Assistance program (CTAP) see http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must meet the Well Qualified criteria of the rating scale for this position.
Disability Employment: For information on disability appointments please visit: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the occupational questionnaire. Your resume must support your responses to the occupational questionnaire. After review of your application materials, if you are determined to be minimally qualified, you will be referred to the selecting official.
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Knowledge of Federal securities laws, rules and regulations, and the financial industry, including the players, roles, market purpose, financial products, and all fit together.
- Knowledge of issues involving asset management, and insight and understanding of the current market structure.
- Knowledge of and skill in conducting complex investigations.
- Knowledge of advanced communication techniques including written products relating to complex and highly technical issues and/or industry practice, and documents that include analysis and findings resulting from complex investigations.
- Building coalitions/Communications.
The Occupational Questionnaire will take you approximately 10 minutes to complete. To preview the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link View Assessment Questions
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package.
All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST, Tuesday, February 25, 2014 to be considered.
Please follow the instructions listed below for submitting the resume, Occupational Questionnaire and Required Documents. Please read all instructions before you begin. You are solely responsible for the delivery of your materials. We cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, etc.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
3. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
4. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. Print the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1047474.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
You must provide a complete Application Package, which includes:
- Required: Your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. (Online or 1203-FX)
- Required: Your resume showing relevant duties, when the duties were performed (MM/YY), and your work schedule. Note: Resumes must NOT contain pictures.
- Required, If applicable: CTAP documentation (a copy of a separation notice or other proof of eligibility for priority selection; a copy of an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, showing current position, grade, promotion potential, and duty location; AND a copy of your most recent performance appraisal.)
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on Track Your Online Application.
By submitting your application, you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired, you may be terminated after you begin work, or you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You will be required to submit official documentation before appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, Veterans documentation, certification of disability, etc.).
Additional Duty Location Info
1 vacancy in the following locations:
Los Angeles, CA View Map
San Francisco, CA View Map
Denver, CO View Map
Washington DC, DC View Map
Miami, FL View Map
Atlanta, GA View Map
Chicago, IL View Map
Boston, MA View Map
New York, NY View Map
Philadelphia, PA View Map
Fort Worth, TX View Map
Salt Lake City, UT View Map