Job Title:Financial Management Technician
Job Announcement Number:14R-RA-299191-MPA-OCIO
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, February 07, 2014 to
Friday, February 21, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|FEW vacancies in the following location:|
Herndon, VA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|The following Smithsonian Institution employees may apply: Current employees with Federal career/career-conditional status or eligibility.|
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
This position is located in Technical Plans, Policy and Project Management group, Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), Smithsonian Institution. The employee provides a range of financial and procurement accountability services for the OCIO.
- Requires career/career-conditional status or eligibility.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
DUTIES:Back to top
- Performs accounting reconciliation and financial analysis to resolve discrepancies between organizational accounting records and PeopleSoft financial system.
- Performs reconciliations using standard general ledger accounts including budgetary and proprietary accounts and fund accounts.
- Performs accounting functions necessary to control and monitor program expenses and equipment expenses.
- Initiates and monitors fund transfers between OCIO and other units including general ledger entries for telecommunication reimbursements,
- Interagency transfers, budget transfers and IPAC transactions.
- Performs financial audits and reconciliation by examining accounts and financial records for the purpose of attesting that the financial statements fairly represent the financial position of the organization as of a predetermined date.
- Prepares internal financial reports including monthly updates to salary models, reports detailing telecommunications charges, and monthly expenditure reports by department identification.
- Develops reports to identify variances between accounting systems and budget reports detailing reasons for variances and presenting possible solutions.
- Verifies balances in PeopleSoft, travel system and internal OCIO accounting models.
- Enters financial data into a variety of schedules and reports including the Federal Procurement Data System and checks to see that all vendors are enrolled in the Commercial Contractors Registry.
- Recommends and makes adjustments to procurement records and documents as required including tracking the expiration dates of Purchase
- Orders and Contracts while insuring an adequate notice to the COTR to allow the COTR to obtain needed ongoing services.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
GS-08: Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as performing reconciliations using standard general ledger accounts including either budgetary or proprietary or fund accounts; and entering financial data into an organization’s internal accounting reports. Also included is adjusting procurement records and documents including tracking the expiration dates of Purchase Orders.
GS-09: Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-08 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as performing financial audits and reconciliation by examining accounts and financial records to attest that the statements are accurate; performing reconciliations using standard general ledger accounts including budgetary, proprietary and fund accounts; and entering financial data into an organization’s internal accounting reports. Also included is adjusting procurement records and documents including tracking the expiration dates of Purchase Orders.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
1. Ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles, methods and techniques to effectively monitor income, expenses, assets, liabilities and other related costs for an organization.
2. Knowledge of financial and management information systems, such as the Enterprise Resource Management System (ERP) and Excel spreadsheets to allow the comparison of a variety of forms and financial documents to resolve financial questions and to prepare financial reports.
3. Knowledge of procurement principles, laws, regulations and procedures applicable to pre-award and/or post-award actions to procure a variety of IT products and services.
Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Click on the "Apply Online" button on the upper right side of the page.
- You must apply for this position online through the 'Apply Online' button and submit required supplemental documents (if they are relevant to you).
- You may submit required documents by uploading them online during the application process;
You may manually fax required documents. Faxes are received by an automated system, not a physical fax machine. Documents that are faxed as part of the application process must be sent with the system generated cover sheet by the closing date. Documents faxed without the system generated coversheet are not retrievable and cannot be considered as part of the application package.
- The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
- If you are unable to apply online, paper applications may be accepted with prior approval of the Contact Person listed below.
Your application package should include the following documents:
- Detailed resume created in the USAJOBS Resume Builder.
- Proof of prior federal service such as the latest SF-50, notification of Personnel Action.
- Unofficial school transcripts, if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify. If selected for the position, you must provide an official transcript before appointment.
- Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
At the end of the application process you will be able to create and save a PDF file that contains your responses to the assessment questions. You may save this file as initial receipt of your application. After the job announcement closes, you will receive an email from the Smithsonian with confirmation of receipt.
The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing email@example.com; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed.Additional Information:
- Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm
- The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
- The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema