About the Agency
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
These vacancies are being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority. The following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be made available to the Selecting Official for consideration. Hiring preference will be given to qualified Native American and Alaska Native applicants, but Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to these vacancies.
This position is also being announced under Announcement # IHS-14-BJ-1032609-ESEP/MP for those who want to be considered under Merit Promotion Plan/Excepted Service Examining Plan. If you wish to be considered all hiring plans you must submit an application to both job opportunity announcements.
Your application will expire in 3 months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active.
This is an open continuous vacancy announcement and applications will be referred when vacancies occur. This Announcement is intended as a mechanism of providing consideration for the greatest number of potential candidates. Candidates with a complete application will be considered for all vacancies that occur for a 3-month period or the closing date of this announcement, whichever comes first. You will be considered for those vacancies that match your desired geographic locations, skills and or job preferences. Positions may be filled at ANY of the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential as vacancies occur. Applicants should specify the lowest grade (GS-level) that they will accept.
· Provides direct primary, preventative and therapeutic nursing care to patients of all age groups
· Orders and/or performs screening and diagnostic tests and procedures such as lab studies, x-rays, electrocardiograms, audiograms, and pulmonary function tests.
· Formulates and implements a plan of care which may involve various treatment modalities, and prescription of medications.
· Performs minor surgical and invasive procedures such as suture of lacerations not involving nerves or tendons, incisions and drainage of abscesses.
· Provides direct physical and psychological care in emergencies
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.