Basic Requirement for the 0181 series: You must possess a Bachelor's (or higher) degree with a major in an appropriate social or biological science, which included or was supplemented by 12 semester hours in Psychology. Due to the positive education requirement, transcripts must be submitted with your application. Applications will not be considered without appropriate transcripts. ~AND~
You must also meet ONE of the Additional Minimum Qualification Requirements for the GS-07 grade level:
- EXPERIENCE: You must have one (1) full year of technical work under the direction of a professional psychologist in a program of professional services, training, or research, six (6) months of which is comparable in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade or one (1) year comparable to the second lower grade in Federal service. This experience must be close to the work of this position and it has given you the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform the duties of a Psychology Technician. Specialized experience includes demonstrated work experience in a medical/clinical human subject research environment that involved recording and collecting research data; applying statistical, analytical, and evaluative methods and techniques, and developing and presenting summarized research findings. Appropriate credit will be given for voluntary participation in community, social service, and similar activities. NOTE: Experience must be fully documented on your resume and must include job title, duties, month & year starting and ending dates AND hours worked per week. ~OR~
- EDUCATION: One full year of graduate study in psychology at an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of experience and meets in full the requirements at the GS-7 level. Transcripts must be submitted with your application. Applications will not be considered without appropriate transcripts. ~OR~
- SUPERIOR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT: (SAA) at the baccalaureate level in the coursework detailed above is fully qualifying. Applicants who wish to apply under this provision must submit proof from their educational institution that they meet one of the criteria listed below. To qualify for SAA, applicants must have completed all the requirements for a bachelor's degree in a curriculum that is qualifying for the position to be filled and meet one of the following:
1. Rank in the upperone-third of your class in the college, university or major subdivision.
2. A grade-pointaverage of "B" (a GPA of 2.95 or higher out of a possible 4.0) forall completed undergraduate courses, or those completed in the last two yearsof undergraduate study.
3. A grade pointaverage of "B+" (a GPA of 3.45 or higher out of a possible 4.0) forall courses in your major field of study, or those courses in your majorcompleted in the last two years of undergraduate study.
4. Membership in anational honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by theAssociation of College Honor Societies. For a list of recognized honorsocieties please visit http://www.achsnatl.org/quick_link.asp.
For more information regarding SAA please visit http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e5.asp#e4f
A Quality Ranking Factor* has been requested by the facility to help determine which of the basically qualified applicants are likely to be better qualified for a position. The quality ranking factor for this position is: "Knowledge of brain imaging software programs such as FSL and SPM."
*Quality Ranking Factors are skills, knowledge, abilities, or other worker characteristics which could be expected to result in superior performance on the job. Quality ranking factors will not be used for screening, but may be used as ranking criteria. Applicants with higher proficiency levels may rank above those with lower proficiency levels on a quality ranking factor.
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs) as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
- Knowledge of research processes
- Knowledge of neuropsychology or cognitive neuroscience in order to provide technical research and administrative support
- Skill in using computer operating systems and software packages to perform statistical analysis
- Writing skills
Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary, although some slight physical effort may be required.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Please refer to this checklist to ensure proper accreditation and for foreign education requirements.
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, non service-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed " SF15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," (go to http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) and required documentation with your application materials. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be ranked based on four quality groups, as follows:
- Best qualified - applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position;
- Highly qualified - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job;
- Well qualified - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all, of the requirements of the job; and
- Qualified - applicants possessing experience and/or education that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors.
After the vacancy announcement closes, reviewed applications are evaluated against the questionnaire responses and placed in the appropriate quality group. Qualified veterans will be afforded preference by being placed at the top of the appropriate quality group. Qualifying veterans with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be placed at the top of the best qualified group. The best qualified group is the first to be referred to the hiring facility for further consideration and possible interview. The remaining groups may be referred based on the number of applicants available.