Job Title:Museum Specialist
Job Announcement Number:14R-MR-299121-MPA-NMAH
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, February 04, 2014 to
Tuesday, February 18, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|1 vacancy -
Washington DC, DC View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|The following Smithsonian Institution employees may apply: Current Federal employees of the National Museum of American History (NMAH) with career/career-conditional status or eligibility. |
About the Agency
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Requires career/career-conditional status or eligibility.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as managing a museum’s collection of American political history objects which includes costumes, textiles, ceramics, glass, silver, furniture, jewelry, graphics and documents; managing the collections storage and exhibit staging areas, handling, storing and transporting museum objects; installing and de-installing objects in museum exhibits, and performing object and records research.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
1. Knowledge of museum’s political history collections (costumes, textiles, ceramics, glass, silver, furniture, jewelry, graphics and documents) as applied to museum exhibition processes.
2. Skill in developing and maintaining a variety of object and production records to include managing installation and de-installation of the exhibits.
3. Knowledge of museum collections to document and care for collections and to maintain, improve, document, and care for collections in storage.
4. Knowledge of political history museum collections to make objects safely available for use by NMAH staff, outside researchers, and for presentations and media use.
Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.