Job Title:Financial Operations Specialist, GS-0501-9/11 NF
Agency:National Science Foundation
Job Announcement Number:SES-2014-0008
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, February 04, 2014 to
Monday, February 24, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|FEW vacancies -
Arlington, VA View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|NSF employees on permanent competitive service appointments.|
About the Agency
This position is located in the Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences, Division of Social and Economic Sciences. This Division is responsible for support of fundamental and applied research in all social and economic science fields. The Division is composed of nine programs in addition to cross-Direcorate activities and special initiatives organized in the following clusters: Economic, Decision, and Management Sciences; Social and Political Sciences; and Methods, Cross-Directorate and Science and Society .
- Background investigation
- US citizenship
- Preview questions at bottom of Qualifications & Evaluations--see tab above
DUTIES:Back to top
The Financial Operations Specialist serves a vital support function to the Program Officers, Division Directors, and the community of scientists supported by Division funds. If you are detail and analytically oriented with an affinity for financial and budgetary management, the Financial Operations Specialist position is for you. As a Financial Operations Specialist, you will play a key role in monitoring program funds, tracking budgetary expenditures and providing expert advice on Federal regulations related to budget and financial management. This work requires a thorough knowledge of Federal budgetary regulations and a skill in communicating Federal policies and guidelines with internal and external stakeholders. Specifically, you will:
Support financial management and oversight of Division program accounts;
Conduct research and identify and analyze trends and spending patterns of funds;
Track and monitor expenditures to ensure funding is appropriately allocated and distributed;
Recommend adjustments in program spending for more efficient fiscal and budgetary administration;
Provide support in the administration and monitoring of grants, contracts and cooperative and interagency agreements;
Resolve administrative problems arising at any point from receipt through post-award transactions;
Review and certify adequacy of award recommendations;
Certify grants, cooperative agreements and contract funds;
Oversee processing and management of Division travel funds, including those used for panelists and experts;
Manage the preparation of travel authorizations;
Review and certify the accuracy of travel vouchers and reimbursement memos;
Monitor travel expenditures to ensure travel does not exceed available funds;
Analyze program and evaluative data to identify opportunities for improving program operations;
Provide technical advice on all phases of proposed processing and grant administration procedures; and
Identify, develop and obtain adequate price competition in accordance with NSF procurement practices and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify at the GS-11 level you must have one of the following:
1. At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: compiling, analyzing, and summarizing financial information related to expenditures and reserves; recommending the approval or disapproval of requests for allotments of funds or actions involving the commitment of funds.
2. A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree.
3. A combination of related graduate level education beyond the second year of progressive graduate study and appropriate experience.
To qualify at the GS-9 level you must have one of the following:
1. At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: checking the accuracy and consistency of data such as estimates, obligations, expenditures, revenues, and reimbursements; and deciding the methods, schedules, forms, and documents on which to enter or adjust data.
2. A master`s degree or equivalent graduate degree or have 2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree that has equipped you to perform the duties of this position.
3. A combination of related graduate level education beyond the first year of progressive graduate study and appropriate experience that together meet the requirements of this position.
Education may be substituted for experience as described in "Qualifications."
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date.
You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire.
All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Ratings will be assigned based on your responses to the occupational questionnaire. In some cases, additional assessment processes may be used.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your score. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the selecting official.
In the merit promotion selection process, due weight will be given to incentive awards and performance appraisals.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Your application should be submitted online and must be completed and all required documents successfully faxed (or uploaded) before 11:59 PM Eastern time on the closing date. You must answer all of the job-related questions to ensure full consideration for this position. For more detailed information, please review our NSF eRecruit Applicant Guide
If you do not have internet access or if you have questions, please contact the Human Resources Representative listed in the vacancy announcement.
WARNING! Applications submitted online must have a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
There are no required documents.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application at any time on the USAJOBS website