About the Agency
FRA is committed to fostering a diverse, highly skilled workforce capable of meeting or exceeding our strategic goals with efficiency, innovation, and a constant focus on better serving our customers.
You will serve as a Railroad Safety Inspector (Operating Practices). As an inspector you will enforce Federal safety and health regulations that are concerned with operating rules and practices, such as the administration of Federal alcohol and drug control programs, hours of service for railroad employees involved with the movement of trains, Federal locomotive engineer certification standards, occupational safety conditions and reporting, and employee training and qualification within an assigned territory. The objective of this position is to inspect for compliance with Federal laws and regulations, as well as railroad operating rules and standards. In addition, you will seek corrections for unsafe conditions. The demands of the position require skills in evaluation, fact-finding, report writing; comprehension and application of technical and regulatory standards, as well as the ability to gain cooperation of individuals and organizations.
This position is perfect for a mid-level professional with strong technical background in applying current Federal railroad safety standards pertaining to Operating Practices as well as strong analytical and communication skills; and experience with conducting inspections and testing employees for compliance of regulations; mission focused, and is looking for great health benefits and a stable work-life environment.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is eligible for full-time telework, and the selectee must reside (or be willing to move at his/her own expense) within the geographic area of the duty location stated above. The duty location for a full-time teleworker is usually the residence or other approved telework site. The actual duty location is subject to approval by the Regional Administrator. Salary will be adjusted based on the duty location.
As a Railroad Safety Inspector (Operating Practices) you will:
- Plan and carry out periodic inspections of railroad yards, repair shops, and locomotive repair, and servicing facilities to observe railroad employees in the performance of operational duties for compliance with the law, including utility employees.
- Examine records to ensure employees are in compliance with all appropriate Federal rules and regulations.
- Investigate and inspect serious railroad accidents, and provide narrative reports describing the accidents, causes, and recommendations to prevent similar accidents in the future.
- Work with railroad officers, union leaders, and other government official to improve safety.
- 75% or Greater
- This position requires extensive travel. The travel is a condition of employment.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current or former federal employee with status OR
Veterans who are eligible under VEOA
.If you are not a status employee or VEOA eligible, you may wish to apply under announcement FRA.R7-2014-0006, which is open to all U.S. Citizens.
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.