About the Agency
NSF has the advantages of a small agency environment that fosters collaboration, creativity and opportunities to contribute to major agency-wide projects. Consistently ranked by its employees as one of the top federal agencies in managing its workforce, NSF maintains a creative, flexible, and collegial atmosphere and is respected in both the federal and scientific arenas for its work in promoting science, technology, education and management best practices. Join our team at one of the best places to work in the federal government and use your knowledge and imagination to keep NSF at the frontier of discovery! More about NSF.
This position is located in the Grantee Cash Management Section (CGMS), Cash Management Branch (CMB), Division of Financial Management (DFM), Office of Budget, Finance, and Award Management (BFA), National Science Foundation (NSF). The Division is responsible for the development, coordination and direction of financial management policies, programs and operations and for the design and operation of an efficient and effective automated accounting system. The Branch is responsible for the maintenance of the official accounting records for the NSF and prepares internal and external financial reports to meet the financial requirements of the Foundation.
The National Science Foundation is seeking an Accountant in the Grantee Cash Management Section (GCMS). GCMS utilized the Award Cash Management Service (ACM$) and FastLane to provide payment and post award financial functions for all Federal assistance programs awarded by NSF. ACM$ receives input from the NSF Award Management System and the Financial Accounting System to provide a centralized grant payment and financial information service to over 1,700 recipient organizations holding in excess of 48,000 active awards for which over $6.9 billion is disbursed on an annual basis. Specific duties include the following:
- Analyzes all financial reports related to recipient payment activity and gives guidance to grant recipients regarding the resolution of differences and other problems. Examines, interprets records and analyzes accounting data, records, and reports pertaining to multiple accounts with one or more accounting, grants management or grant payment systems or subsystems.
- Completes various payment methods i.e. ACH, FedWire, and check and advises or recommends changes to the GCMS Head on the most efficient method to use in assisting recipients in obtaining Federal funds.
- Maintains liaison with the Division of Grants and Agreements, NSF Program Offices and grant recipients in all matters involving payment and financial activities.
- Serves as senior accountant assisting the GCMS Section Head in providing professional accounting expertise and leadership to a staff of employees in the professional accounting classification series.
- Makes on-site and virtual visits to grant recipient institutions to advise and coordinate the fiscal aspects of the various grant programs financed through NSF.
- Reviews the impact of systems changes/enhancements.
- Analyzes the effect of the various payment methods i.e. ACH, FedWire, and Check and advises or recommends changes to the GCMS Head on the most efficient method to use in assisting recipients in obtaining Federal funds.