In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
EXPERIENCE: In order to qualify for the Security Guard, GS-0085-04 position, you must possess the following experience: Six months of general experience such as administrative, clerical, technical, military or other work that involved following written procedures, rules or regulation in contact with coworkers, supervisors, or members of the public to provide service, respond to inquires or obtain information AND Six months of specialized experience such as work with a federal, state, municipal, local that involved the protection of property against such hazards as fire, theft, damage, accident, or trespass; or maintain order and protecting life. Such experience must have provided knowledge of protective systems and techniques. Acceptable experience includes experience in the Armed Services or Coast Guard that involved the performance of guard duties or a regular intermittent basis.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE: Applicants may substitute the following education for the required experience, provided it demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to do the work of the position: 2 years above high school. This education must have been obtained in an accredited technical school, junior college, college or university where high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be combined to meet the total qualification requirements.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-cler.asp
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
As part of the application process, you must complete and submit an occupational questionnaire. To preview this questionnaire and determine if your experience matches the skills required for this position, click the following link:View Assessment Questions
NOTE: Competition for Security Guard positions are restricted by law to persons entitled to veterans preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment.
Are you using your education to qualify? For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you must submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned). See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the qualification requirements if the applicant can provide documentation indicating that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide such evidence when applying for further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Selectee is required to participate in the Department of Defense direct deposit of pay program.
- A secret security clearance is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal. If you possess a security clearance, please indicate the level and termination date in your resume.
- Required to obtain and maintain a White House Clearance through recommendation by the Commanding Officer and approved by the White House for the GOLDPLATE Clearance.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the applicant fails to report to the scheduled drug test appointment. Incumbents of drug testing designated positions will be subject to random testing. Drug test results will be provided to the employing activity/command.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- This position is designated Emergency Essential; therefore the incumbent is required to respond to recall in support of the command during severe weather, anti-terrorism/force protection conditions.
- Incumbent is required to wear a uniform.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Must pass an initial and yearly physical exam and maintain conditions of physical fitness.
- Eye and hearing exams are required.
- Travel may be required.
- Weekend/holiday/overtime/shift work is required
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
When the application process is complete, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the Occupational Questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities/competencies:
You will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience meets the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the position and rated as shown below. Additional points are not added for veterans preference; however, preference is still applied. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:
Best Qualified- Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Highly Qualified-Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Qualified- Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position.
If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities or you may be found ineligible/not qualified.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.