Job Title:IT Specialist (DATAMGT)
Department:Department of the Army
Agency:Army National Guard Units (Title 32)
Job Announcement Number:14-T-Army-043
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, January 29, 2014 to
Wednesday, February 12, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
Excepted Service Permanent|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Indianapolis, IN View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This announcement is for on-board federal technicians employed by the Indiana Army National Guard. See details below.|
The mission of the Indiana National Guard Full-Time Force is to maintain properly trained and equipped units available for prompt mobilization for war, national or state emergency. For information about membership call: 1.800.GO GUARD
ON-BOARD FEDERAL TECHNICIANS ONLY
DUTY LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN (USPFO)
JOB SUMMARY: This position is located in an information management organization. Its purpose is to serve as a technical expert for database administration in the state. Administers multiple relational database management systems (RDBMS) and software packages residing on multiple hardware and software platforms.
This job announcement is for employment as an Indiana Army National Guard Technician; a Federal Civil Service position. This is a dual-status technician job whereby you are required to maintain active membership in a National Guard unit and are required to wear the military uniform at the workplace. As members of a unit of the Indiana National Guard, you will be required to train with your unit, normally one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Indiana Army National Guard units and members are subject to immediate call to federal or state active duty to meet national or state emergencies.
APPOINTMENT FACTORS: This position is an Permanent Excepted Service position. (see SF 52)
MILITARY RANK REQUIREMENTS: E-4 thru E-8, WOC-CW4, or OCC thru O4
MILITARY SPECIALITY REQUIREMENTS: Individuals must meet the qualifications for the technician position but will have 1 year from date of hire to be assigned to a compatible MOS in a compatible unit for the technician position advertised.
Compatible Military Assignments: Enlisted: 25B, 25U, 25Y, 25Z; Warrant Officer: 250N, 251A; Officer: 25, 53
AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
All currently employed full-time permanent (Tenure 1 or 2) technicians employed by the Indiana Army National Guard
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must be in the grades: E4-E8, WOC-CW4, or OCC-O4
- Must possess or be able to obtain a secret security clearance
- Must be a permanent federal technician w/ the IN Army National Guard
- Must participate in direct deposit
DUTIES:Back to top
As a IT Specialist (DATAMGT) with the Indiana Army National Guard (ARNG), your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Provides assistance, advice and guidance to organizational users, both in the administrative and technical areas, concerning the use of the multiple database management systems available for use.
- Using software-engineering techniques, designs new applications that enhance existing systems. Closely coordinates with the applications owning agency personnel to ensure NGB and state compatibility and to recommend priorities for systems development and implementation.
- Responsible for the management of quality assurance and system efficiency functions of assigned RDBMS systems by enforcing the prescribed RDBMS.
- Reviews and implements security provisions to ensure authorized access and integrity of the RDBMS. Ensures the application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the conduct and oversight of RDBMS, policy, and planning functions. Implements the policy for the use of the data and any access constraints applying to exclusive or shared file usage (in which system deadlock might occur). Develops and reviews the administration of file membership roles, file purge roles, file back-up procedures, and audit procedures.
- Provides technical advice and coordinates the monitoring and tuning requirements for RDBMS optimization of performance. Analyzes database operations to identify bottlenecks and takes action to resolve problems and ensure consistency. Manages the flow of data between the various tiers of the architecture. Investigates amount of storage space consumed, access time statistics and frequency of use for a given RDBMS. Reviews RDBMS accounting information and takes action to improve efficiency.
- Reviews system documentation, users manuals and training guides. Develops local state modifications to these documents to fit local operating procedures and to include instructions relative to locally developed supplemental applications. Provides training on implementation, including classroom instruction and Computer Based Training (CBT) development.
- Troubleshoots problems involved in the input, retrieval or modification of database information and the general operation and maintenance pertinent to any of the organizations data system elements or sub-elements.
- Tests new DBMS software and implements updates and changes.
- Ensures resolution of DBMS inconsistencies across the installation in coordination with other information technology specialists and systems administers.
- Develops system backup and recovery plans assigned RDBMS applications.
- Makes recommendations on alternatives involving major projects.
- Analyzes DBMS inconsistencies with other system administrators and devises recovery plans for failure resolution. Resolves a wide variety of system problems, which are caused by data errors, operator errors, hardware malfunctions and program errors. Traces and isolates causes of problems in hardware and software.
- Provides technical assistance to personnel involved in developing system design, programming, specifications and adapting commercially available software.
- Participates in the analysis of requests for new and modified applications. Determines equipment demands, number and kind of records, required files, data communication needs, procedures needed to obtain and organize information, and interfaces with other systems. Identifies relationships, sequences and search strategies to be used.
- Provides DBMS maintenance of a data dictionary, listing the kinds of data in databases and how to access them.
- Coordinates and integrates data elements for a variety of projects in a number of dissimilar areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Incumbent may be required to prepare for and support the mission through the accomplishment of duties pertaining to military training, military readiness, force protection and other mission related assignments including, but not limited to, training of traditional Guard members, CWDE/NBC training, exercise participation (ORE/ORl/UCI/MEI/OCl/I G, etc.), mobility exercise, FSTA/ATSO exercise participation, SABC training, LOAC training, weapons qualification training, participation in military formations, and medical mobility processing within the guidelines of NGB/ARNG/ANG/State/TAG rules, regulations and laws. These tasks have no impact on the classification of this position and should NOT be addressed in any technicians performance standards.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In order to meet the Minimum Qualifications for this IT Specialist position at the GS-12 grade level, you must have at least 36 months of:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities that will be evaluated for this position include:
- Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
- Experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL server and Oracle database.
- Knowledge of a wide range of standards, principles, concepts, methods, policies, system testing principles and methods, and authorized system approaches pertinent to database management.
- Skill in analyzing organizations data needs to identify, develop and implement the best database management system that provides the most effective support for the organization.
- Knowledge of the automated IT equipment available and needed to implement new or changed features of the involved systems.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art information technologies pertaining to data management and knowledge of the characteristics of the organizations existing data requirements, new or changed data needs, and sources of data to conduct studies covering a myriad of interrelated data management considerations.
- Knowledge of IT resources and infrastructure including automated systems, IT equipment and software, system technology, provisions and requirements of a variety of standardized administrative and technical database systems. Applies this knowledge in serving as a technical expert concerning the application, implementation, and maintenance of the organizations automated database system and the resolution of associated system problems.
- Knowledge of the structures, functions, work processes/programs of the organizations, as well as a high degree of analytical ability to gather, assemble and analyze facts, draw conclusions and devise solutions to problems which will increase the effectiveness of business process.
- Knowledge of project management principles, practices and methods to serve as the lead on special and/or teams to study and resolve broad-based data management problems and situations.
- Knowledge of cost benefit analysis to analyze and study current and desired systems and recommend the most cost effective systems for local application.
- Knowledge of and experience in the use of oral and written communication methods and techniques to accomplish continuing coordination with customers and make presentations at meetings.
- Knowledge of database query languages, table relationships, and views.
- Knowledge of IT and relational database system security principles and methods.
- Broad knowledge of system design, programming techniques, local operating system software, and RDBMS concepts in order to achieve optimum performance and utilization of the RDBMS.
- Analytical ability to gather, assemble and analyze facts, draw conclusions, and devise solutions to problems and increase the effectiveness of the RDBMS.
- Knowledge of RDBMS monitoring and tuning techniques to optimize operational performance.
- Knowledge of RDBMS, operating systems (OS), physical and virtual data storage media to define and allocate storage capacity in the design of RDBMS.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying advanced troubleshooting techniques relative to RDBMS, programming techniques, hardware platforms and system software.
- Knowledge of Internet technologies to analyze the potential of systems, networks, and RDBMS.
- Knowledge of system software design and knowledge of computer language sufficient to develop or monitor development of schema that interface with vendor software.
Substitution of Education for Experience: At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted for the 36 months of specialized experience.
Must participate in Direct Deposit
A criminal history check will be completed on all selectees before hire date.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) funds are not available for this position.
ENLISTMENT CASH BONUSES: Acceptance of technician position may affect any bonus and/or educational assistance that may be payable.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a typical office setting. Special safety precautions are not required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work is sedentary. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.