About the Agency
The National Science Board (Board) was established by Federal statute to set the policies of the National Science Foundation (NSF) and to serve as advisors to the President and Congress on a broad range of national science and engineering research and education policies. The National Science Board Office (NSBO) is the focal point for coordinating the development and analysis of policy-level issues and strategies requiring Board attention and/or action.
The individual selected for this position will serve as a member of the administrative team of the National Science Board Office (NSBO) and is primarily responsible for serving as a personal confidential assistant to the National Science Board (NSB) Office Director and to the Chairman of the National Science Board. The individual will also provide executive and administrative support to the Board Members. You will assist the NSB Office Director in establishing and maintaining the operations of the NSBO. If you are an individual with strong executive office skills, excellent writing skills, strong interpersonal skills, and capable of safeguarding confidential and sensitive information, this may be the position for you.
The incumbent will work closely with the NSB Office Director in establishing and maintaining smooth running operations of the NSBO and supporting his interactions with NSB Members and other public and agency officials. Specific duties include:
- Maintaining contact information and initiating contact with counterparts in the Agency and in other Federal and public organizations on behalf of the Board and the NSB Office Director, including maintaining the calendar for the NSB Office Director;
- Handling telephone inquiries and greeting guests for meetings with the NSB Office Director/Board Chairman;
- Compiling background and/or briefing materials for the NSB Office Director and Board Chairman;
- Tracking requests and communications from various senior officials at the White House, e.g., the Office of Science and Technology Policy, Congress; the NSF Director's Office; external organizations and/or NSB Board members to ensure timely and accurate responses;
- Drafting correspondence for signature by the Board Chairman and the NSB Office Director;
- Organizing and maintaining correspondence and confidential files for the Board and NSB Office Director;
- Providing meeting support such as note taking and recording, and preparing minutes for confidential meetings;
- Preparing travel documents, requisitions and other administrative documents needed for the National Science Board's daily operations;
- Monitoring and assessing routine to complex management processes and projects and assisting the NSB Office Director in implementing changes to improve effectiveness and efficiency of operations;
- Assisting in the preparation and tracking of statistical and narrative reports used in monitoring budgets, travel costs, special projects and meetings and events, etc.;
- Working with senior NSB Office staff to develop policies and procedures that ensure that the NSB Office Director and Board Chairman achieve their program goals;
- Working independently and on teams to assist in the completion of a variety of ad hoc and special projects related to the Board mission, vision, goals, and objectives.