Job Title:Museum Specialist (Zoology)
Job Announcement Number:14R-JW-299002-MPA-NMNH
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, January 29, 2014 to
Wednesday, February 12, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|The following Smithsonian Institution employees may apply: Current Federal employees of (National Museum of Natural History) with career/career-conditional status or eligibility. |
About the Agency
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Requires career/career-conditional status or eligibility.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of full-time experience at the GS-07 grade level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system that is close or similar to experience in the operation or management of a museum or similar collection of valuable objects. For this position specialized experience is defined as experience in insect taxonomy, classification and identification; collection management; loan processing; insect preparation techniques; and insect collection storage in a museum or public science center. Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of departmental collections management policies, procedures, priorities, facilities, resources, work flow, and goals.
- Knowledge of Entomology collections, including access and logistics, general entomology, taxonomy, and collections management best practices.
- Knowledge of insect identification, preparation and classification best practices, especially for Coleoptera.
- Knowledge of procedures for handling and moving insect collections, shipping and permitting regulations, and protocols for entomological stockroom supplies and storage.
- Ability to use a collections management database and museum transactions system (EMu) to manage entomological collections.
- Ability to communicate with professionals and members of the public about entomological collections.
Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.