About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of Patent Information Management (OPIM), the Scientific and Technical Information Center (STIC), Digital Resources Division, Reference Delivery Service Center. The incumbent of this position serves as the Team Leader for the Reference Delivery Service Center. Reference Delivery is responsible for interlibrary loan (ILL) and document fulfillment activities for the patent examiners utilizing the PTO non-patent literature (NPL) collection, collections of other scientific and technical libraries, and document provider services. Extensive use of electronic networks, contracts, and interagency agreements are used to provide critical and timely information to the patent examiners.
- As an Lead Librarian, you will perform the following duties:
- Serves as Reference Delivery's primary contact to search and resolve complicated bibliographic citations using a variety of online and commercial databases.
- Organizes, plans, and schedules Reference Delivery's work, adjusting plans and schedules as necessary to accommodate changes in workload, priorities, ect. Assigns work directly to employees.
- Coaches team in work processes and communication and problem solving methods.
- Utilizes network of document provider services and libraries to provide critical and timely NPL documents to the patent examiners and other patrons of the USPTO.
- Monitors the integrity of the data entered in the Cuadra STAR database and takes necessary action when errors are identified.
- Reconciles cash for the ILL bank used to copy articles found at area libraries.
- Monitors work schedules so that workflow is not interrupted due to employee absences or moves.
- Reviews work received from staff for accuracy in compliance with instructions, completeness, and timeliness. Accepts or rejects work as appropriate and takes appropriate action to remedy incomplete or incorrect work.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining supplies and necessary resources for the optimum working conditions in Reference Delivery.
- Responsible for administering all Office policies in accordance with departmental standards. Recommends to the Supervisor, procedures and instructions regarding the operational activities for Reference Delivery for approval. Communicates those approved to the Reference Delivery personnel.
- Makes recommendations to the Reference Delivery Supervisor in regards to staff performance appraisals.