About the Agency
This is a Scientific and Professional (ST) Position.
The Chief Medical Officer position is located in the Office of Associate Administrator for Policy. This position is vital to the support of the mission of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). As FMCSA’s Chief Medical Officer, the candidate of this position will provide senior level advice on national medical certification/qualification regulations, standards and policies, the national registry programs, medical exemption and certifications programs, the development of medical standards and guidance, and relevant research to support the medical program.
The Chief Medical Officer for FMCSA is a recognized expert on medical standards for commercial motor vehicle drivers operation in interstate commerce. (See 49 CFR Part 391)
The Chief Medical Officer will be responsible for:
- Serving as an advisor to the Administrator, Assistant Administrator, and Chief Safety Officer, and Associate Administrator for Policy and Program, and liaison to FMCSA’s Medical Review Board.
- Providing advice on the development and determination of the national medical certification/qualification regulations, standards, policies and procedures for commercial motor vehicle drivers who operate in interstate commerce.
- Providing advice on the implementation and oversight of the National Registry of certified examiners and on the designation and termination of registered medical examiners.
- Providing advice on the Agency’s medical exemption programs.
- Providing advice on relevant health and medical research.
- Responding to public and other inquiries (e.g., Congressional) about commercial motor vehicle driver health and safety, including advice on implementation of standards.
- Participating as an advisor in executive decisions, in formulating and presenting budget and program plans, and in developing and maintaining productive relationships with the public, the medical community, the motor carrier industry and other Government agencies.
- Maintaining senior level liaison with other governmental agencies and private, professional and scientific organizations to improve commercial motor carrier vehicle health and safety.