DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Interpretation and translation activities within the scope of the employees duties.
2. Assess these employees language abilities to ensure their competency to perform language services for particular duties; and describe plans for enhancing employees language abilities.
3. Provides psychological assessment and evaluation of detainees.
4. Provides appropriate referral to outside treatment facilities for those cases of extremely severe mental disturbance.
5. Provides referral, identification, and evaluation for those identified as having a significant mental illness using Mental Health Review Form (IHSC-883).
6. Provides on site counseling, psychotherapy, behavioral analysis, substance abuse education, and therapy as required.
7. Possesses a high level of skill in assessing, recognizing, and treating problems of adjustment, and maladaptive behavior or other conditions which interfere with successful treatment; referring such detainees to the appropriate mental health facility for intensive mental health care.
8. Determines the need for and provide direct mental health services to detainees with identified mental health and substance abuse problems utilizing psycho educational and treatment modalities as appropriate in the treatment of mental disorders.
9. Will assist the Clinical Director/designees in providing orientation and guidance to medical staff on Detoxification of Chemically Dependent detainees and actions to take if a detainee is suspected of being chemically dependent on drugs or alcohol upon intake or during custody.
10. Reports status to a physician or psychiatrist if the expected outcome of drug therapy is not being achieved.
11. Utilizes the multi-disciplinary approach in the treatment planning process for detainees identified with mental health problems.
12. Provides consultation to medical, ICE, contract staff regarding issues that include, but are not limited to risk assessment for violence, housing recommendations for handling difficult, demanding, and mentally ill detainees.
13. Serves as a mental health and substance abuse consultant to other health professionals at the facility.
14. Provides education and training to ICE and medical staff in the area of mental health to include, but not limited to, suicide prevention, hunger strike, abuse and neglect and victims of torture.
15. Facilitates contacts between the detainee patient and his/her social support systems.
16. Establishes and maintains liaison with other health services professionals and mental health organizations.
17. Assists in preparation towards accreditation/compliance.
18. Assists the local performance improvement coordinator in completion of clinical performance improvement activities/risk identification and management directly related to mental health.
19. Participates in the local performance improvement committee.
20. Provide radiological services; these services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
21. Performs other collateral duties as assigned.