The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visitNIH Overview
This Patient Care Technician position is located within the Oncology and Critical Care Service, Nursing Department at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Clinical Center (CC), in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The Patient care technician reports directly to a Nurse Manager for a unit or clinic within the specialty area and works under the delegation of a Clinical Research Nurse.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH), Clinical Center (CC), is the 240-bed research hospital and ambulatory care research facility in Bethesda, Maryland that supports the Intramural Research Program (IRP) of the National Institutes of Health. It is the largest inpatient facility in the country devoted exclusively to clinical research, and provides a full range of services from ambulatory care to critical care and special procedures. The focus at the CC on early phase and first-in-human clinical trials and on the study of rare diseases makes it possible to rapidly translate scientific observations and laboratory discoveries into new approaches for diagnosing, treating, and preventing disease.
The National Institutes of Health Clinical Center leads the nation in implementing a specialty practice model for Clinical Research Nursing which defines the roles and contribution of nurses providing care to research participants. If you want to play a significant role supporting the vision at the Clinical Center in leading the Nation in implementing a specialty practice model for Clinical Research Nursing, then consider joining our team! For more information, visit http://www.cc.nih.gov/.
If you are selected for this position your responsibilities will include:
· Assisting patients with Activities of Daily Living, such as grooming, bathing, and meals.
· Constantly monitors stock to ensure the special trays are being utilized within the proper time limitations Promptly identifies, removes, reports and disposes of outdated and/or contaminated supplies.
· Assists patients or other health care team members with prescribed interventions, such as ambulating, therapeutic exercises, and aseptic dressing changes.
· Reinforces patient instructions in the proper technique of various self administered treatments such as aerosol therapy, postural drainage, intermittent positive breathing exercises, etc., and documents the activities performed.
· Collects specimens for clinical and/or research care and handles and delivers in accordance with prescribed protocols.
· Obtains and records vital signs; temperature, blood pressure, height/weight, and reports any abnormal findings to the clinical nurse.
· Performs phlebotomy, electrocardiograms and other procedures after completion of certification and/or training and competency validation completed
· Utilizes automated equipment and assistive transport devices safely.
· Reinforces policies and procedures to patient and families in conjunction with the clinical nurse teaching.