NOTE: This position is in the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps and you will be referred as a Commissioned Corps personnel and not as a candidate to a permanent GS career or career-conditional appointment. This USPHS position is being filled at the rank of Commander (O-5).
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: ONLY USPHS OFFICERS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION BASED ON THE APPLICANT'S YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND THE NEEDS OF THE LOCATION.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
This is a key position within the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). ICE utilizes the government's second largest cadre of law enforcement officers to ensure our nation's economic, transportation and infrastructure security. ICE enforces immigration and customs laws. Our talented and courageous workforce identifies criminal activities and eliminates vulnerabilities that pose a threat to our nation's borders.
ICE is the primary investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security. With more than 19,000 employees in 400 offices around the world, ICE is a key component of the DHS layered defense approach to protecting our nation. For additional information about ICE and career opportunities go to http://www.ice.gov/.
The ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security. The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contract employees comprise the health care professional working together to provide quality health care services.IHSC serves as the medical expert for ICE.
This announcement will be used to fill vacancies at IHSC facilities. Although the announcement is advertised for multiple locations, it is not intended to convey any implication that these positions are vacant and will be filled at all locations. In some cases, advertised duty locations will not have a vacancy during the open period of this announcement. Cut-off dates will be established on an as-needed basis as vacancies occur, however, the final deadline for application and submission of all documentation will be 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Friday, October 31, 2014.
***This Position is open for Commissioned Corps officers only*** .
It is the responsibility of the Nurse Manager to adhere to policies and procedures as stated in the ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) Policies and Procedures Manual.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interpretation and translation activities within the scope of the employees duties.
- Assess employees language abilities.
- Provides front line supervision of patient/client care provided by nurses, nursing assistants or technicians/medical assistants.
- Plans, schedules, assigns, and directs nursing care.
- Develops comprehensive individualized patient treatment plans based on nursing assessment and standards of care. Evaluates and revises as appropriate collaborating with health care team.
- Performs complex tasks without benefit of close guidance.
- Establishes and evaluates patient care assignments.
- Differentiates between normal and abnormal findings, making appropriate notifications to providers, and implementing appropriate interventions.
- Reviews identified patient records to assess treatment progress, adequacy of record keeping, and implementation of appropriate clinical guidelines.
- Reports all major changes of patient status to appropriate providers in a timely manner.
- Provides nursing services of a scope, quality and quantity consistent with PHS policies.
- Participates as the primary nurse in the development of teaching plans that reflect assessment data and are based on written objectives.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of teaching methods based on learner response and modifies them accordingly.
- Conducts staff in-services on general and complex subjects with improvement of care as expected outcomes.
- Facilitates ease of data reporting, data collection, and the generation of reports by implementing streamlined and approved reporting processes.
- Interviews newly admitted clients with empathy to accurately identify needs and minimize fears and anxieties.
- Interprets and explains institutions treatment programs to new arrival detainees.
- Obtains complete physical/mental health history as basis for formulating assessment and treatment goals.
- Gathers information through observations, personal histories, and other assessment measurements.
- Collects all appropriate clinical and laboratory data, reporting abnormalities to appropriate provider[s].
- Implements appropriate and most effective therapies for identified condition(s).
- Applies knowledge of treatments and drug actions when making observations and reporting patient response to treatments.
- Performs and applies patient-specific care to monitor and manage health status, stress levels, and provide emotional support.
- Assists physician and mid-level providers with outpatient, inpatient, and emergency care procedures for patients.
- Coordinates the treatment and transport of acutely ill or injured patients.
- Administers intra-dermal, subcutaneous, and intra-muscular injections of medications, immunizations, and desensitizations.
- Demonstrates ability to set up, operate, and monitor specialized equipment such as cardiac monitors, defibrillators, IV machines, etc.
- Observes and assesses patients clinical condition; recognizes, identifies and interprets serious situations and immediately decides proper action, i.e., call physician(s) or takes preplanned emergency measures.
- Assists in the orientation of new medical and nursing personnel to protocols, requirements, and the specifics of the patient population.
- Serves as a team member for analyzing established protocol practices and identifying areas for improvement.
- Participates with developing recommendations for improved efficiency of patient care.
- Assists with overall review of quality assurance and data entry procedures for report-generating activities and recommends improvements.
- Recommends modifications or improvements to multiple or complex clinical programs.
- Assists with developing new operating procedures or program plans.Interviews patients and completes a comprehensive physical/mental history and assessment according to the IHSC guidelines.
- Assists in the design of methods for collection, management, and analysis of data.
- Recommends actions to facilitate implementation of data reporting and input procedures.
- Uses computer-compatible input forms, remote on-line input and retrieval processing equipment per IHSC policy.
- Provides support and assists with nursing and medical-care projects assisting with design activities, strategy development, problem resolution, and project implementation.
- Supports Agency-wide activities within the nursing and medical care area by: Developing strategies, analytical models, and methodologies; Analyzing policy and guidance, to assure they are interpreted and applied consistently; Identifying nursing and medical care strategies and projects with proven success for implementation; Reviewing strategies to appraise and report progress toward the achievement of goals.
- Some travel may be required.
- Follows supervisory chain of command.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel