Minimum Requirements: Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
Specialized Experience: Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
Knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) listed below will be used in the selection process. KSAs are important to the entire selection process and should be addressed specifically and completely within the resume'.
1. Knowledge of a variety of operating systems (ex. Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Unix etc.) on desktop and server.
2. Knowledge of project management techniques and tools sufficient to provide technical guidance on the implementation of emerging technologies.
3. Ability to lead team members assigned to one or more locations in the state.
4. Knowledge of the principles and methods used for planning and managing the implementation, update, and integration of information system components.
5. Skill in troubleshooting problems and implementing changes on multifaceted and interdependent computer platforms.
6. Skill in modifying application code and devising software patches or workarounds, documenting problems and advising the responsible party on support issues.
7. Knowledge of, and skill in applying system design techniques, programming languages and hardware capabilities to analyze requests for new and modified applications.
8. Knowledge of and skill in applying storage management practices, assignment of resources, and file management techniques.
9. Skill in using performance tuning tools and techniques that are used to optimize systems functionality in order to meet installation systems requirements.
10. Knowledge of the techniques and practices necessary to implement fault tolerance on a diverse number of complex systems and applications in order to optimize functionality and service to the customer base.
11. Knowledge of system diagnostic tools and structured techniques for the recovery of failed systems and data access.
12. Knowledge of analysis and design techniques to develop system software modifications, systems administration policy and procedures for use across the organization.
13. Knowledge of the overall architecture of the systems administered in order to install and maintain software and hardware configurations.
14. Knowledge of state-of-art system software technology and related computer equipment to perform studies and to evaluate system changes.
15. Knowledge of the provisions and state-of-art hardware, software, and various approaches to networking and interfaces, as well as existing C4 infrastructure, to determine the applicability and susceptibility for use within the state.
16. Knowledge of a wide range of IT standards, principles, concepts, methods, policies, and authorized approaches.
17. Knowledge of agency applications, operating systems and components, protocols, and various hardware and software used throughout the state in order to conduct system administration functions.
18. Knowledge of agency security principles and methods.
Quality of Experience: Level of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignments must be followed. The applicant's record of experience training, and education must show possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the Miscellaneous Administration and Program Positions.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience: At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree. Major study-computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
Military Assignment (Dual Status Applicants Only): Occupants of this position must maintain continuous military membership in the North Carolina Army National Guard (NCARNG). Assignment to a compatible Enlisted, Warrant Officer or Officer (O3 & below) position in the NCARNG is mandatory. (ENL MOS: 25B/U/Z WO MOS: 250N, 251A, 254A OFF BRANCH: 25, 53)
Security Clearance: Employment is subject to attaining and maintaining a security clearance as required by the position (ANACI minimum).
Direct Deposit: The applicant selected for this position will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer Program.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To validate your qualifications for this job, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire and supporting documents. If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have misrepresented your qualifications and/or experience, your rating will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.