About the Agency
NSF has the advantages of a small agency environment that fosters collaboration, creativity and opportunities to contribute to major agency-wide projects. Consistently ranked by its employees as one of the top federal agencies in managing its workforce, NSF maintains a creative, flexible, and collegial atmosphere and is respected in both the public and private sectors for its management best practices and stewardship of federal funds. Join our team at one of the best places to work in the federal government and use your knowledge and imagination to keep NSF at the frontier of discovery! More about NSF.
This position is located in the Office of Legislative and Public Affairs (OLPA), Legislative Division, Congressional Affairs Section. OLPA communicates information about the activities, programs, research results and policies of the National Science Foundation. OLPA employs a wide variety of tools and techniques to engage the general public and selected audiences including Congress, the news media, state and local governments, other Federal agencies,and the research and education communities.
The incumbent works with senior OLPA and NSF staff on congressional, state and local interactions under the direction of the Supervisor for Legislative Affairs, Congressional Affairs Section. Specific duties include:
- Works closely with senior legislative staff members to maintain close and continuing contacts with individual Members of Congress and Congressional Staff with interest in and/or responsibility for NSF oversight.
- Assists in the planning and development of NSF Congressional hearing testimony and associated background materials.
- Assists in the development and implementation of a legislative strategy for the Foundation based on insight developed through contact with congressional and other sources.
- Assists in the planning and execution of ongoing strategic congressional relations activities that provide NSF program information in both proactive and reactive modes, to Members of Congress and their staff.
- Works with NSF program staff, integrates state-related information available within OLPA and NSF, and coordinates state-related activities when appropriate.
- Attends and prepares reports of Congressional hearings, mark-ups, and floor debates pertaining to issues important to NSF and the science and engineering research and education community. Communicates congressional interest to other affected NSF staff and assists in developing information and/or recommendations for NSF policy and follow-up actions.
- Assists in the development and management of the distribution of information materials to the Congress, state and local officials, and general public.
- Supports the maintenance of the congressional grant notification system and the congressional report tracking system
- Supports the legislative clearance process and interacts with OMB on behalf of the agency as appropriate.
- Develops, maintains, and updates files, databases, and other materials of state or regional research and education information that can be used to inform Congress and provide background information to the Congressional Affairs team, Director, the Deputy Director and the Assistant Directors.
- Identifies opportunities to develop working partnerships between states, institutions of higher education, and NSF.
- Occasional Travel
- Periodic travel may be involved.