Vacancy ID: 1030107
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service.
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans. The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define who we are, our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (I CARE).
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
The Medical Librarian is located at the VA Medical Center, White River Junction (WRJ), VT. The person in this position works to inform evidence-based, patient-centered care through teaching information literacy skills, training and supporting WRJ clinical and research professionals to access evidence-based clinical resources with skill and competence. The Medical Librarian provides and promotes expert clinical librarian services at the point of care and need for WRJ clinical teams, on clinical rounds or morning report with house staff, and other clinical trainees. The Medical Librarian develops opportunities to collaborate with WRJ clinicians and researchers to develop special information/knowledge projects or to customize access and/or results from information tools, databases, e-books, e-journals, and other e-resources provided by the VA VISN 1 Knowledge Library. The Medical Librarian works directly with the WRJ users and patients in clinics, labs, offices, or electronically to assist, train, and deliver these knowledge and information tools. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists in locating materials and how to access/use online resources;
- Provides reference service as a team member and acts as a mentor for junior staff: Instructs and assists staff in the use of databases, e-journals, e-books, etc.;
- Participates in the acquisition, processing and de-activation of library materials;
- Communicates frequently and articulately with customer groups and teams (clinicians, Service Chiefs, house staff, etc.);
- Collaborates on the Knowledge and Information Services Centers web development to enhance access, display and utilization of key library resources;
- Participates on collaborative teams to identify and implement decision support and knowledge-based content;
- Oversees the efficient operation of the Library/Knowledge Service Center;
- Develops effective user aids, training programs, plus employs pro-active local marketing/promotion strategies;
- Teaches and/or develops information tools, knowledge resources, and/or services that focus on building clinical information literacy, knowledge management, and clinical decision making skills;
- Participates in local and regional information networks;
- Assists in the compilation of usage, cost and effectiveness statistics on all e-content and Library Services;
- Works on statistical reports and works to improve quality and/or identify opportunities for redesign; and
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:00AM 4:30PM