About the Agency
The National Organic Program (NOP) carries out activities relating to the development, implementation, and administration of the USDA organic regulations in accordance with the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990 (OFPA). These activities include developing and enforcing the USDA organic regulations and standards and accrediting, auditing, and training organic certifying agents.
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts case intake activities, including administrative file management and initial review of incoming cases.
- Reviews complaint case files, evaluating facts, identifying potential violations, determining the elements needed to prove or disprove the allegations, and recommending a course of action.
- Develops plans of action that demonstrate good understanding of the allegations or issues, the related regulatory requirements, and a workable methodology for fact finding.
- Conducts investigations and develops case file materials and related documentation (e.g. letters, adverse action notices, case closure memos, investigative log); multiple investigations are done concurrently.
- Attends division and program meetings to discuss NOP enforcement issues and specific cases under evaluation.
- Recommends strategies and practices to monitor and evaluate adverse action procedures of accredited certifying agents.
- Conducts follow-up monitoring to ensure operations remain in compliance after initial corrective actions are taken.
- Demonstrates a commitment to objectivity, confidentiality, and high ethical conduct; the work requires thorough research and understanding of the law, regulations, policies, precedents, and other pertinent materials.
- Occasional Travel
- The work is primarily conducted in an office setting, but requires occasional travel to industry-sponsored conferences and training events organized by the NOP.