Job Title:Assistant Federal Security Director for Screening - SV-1801-K
Department:Department Of Homeland Security
Agency:Transportation Security Administration
Job Announcement Number:MCO-14-720908
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, January 17, 2014 to
Wednesday, January 22, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Orlando, FL View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Open to all U.S. Citizens.|
Salary range listed includes Locality Pay of 14.16%.
This position is located at Orlando International Airport (MCO) in Orlando, FL.
About the Agency
Securing Travel, Protecting People - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please:
- You must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National.
- You must pass Drug and Alcohol Screening, subject to random drug tests.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance.
- Disclosure of your financial information is required.
- This is an Emergency Essential position.
- See additional "Conditions of Employment" in "Other Information" section
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Assistant Federal Security Director for Screening (AFSD-Screening) for TSA, you will:
- Mitigate threats against aviation and other transportation sectors by providing leadership and direction to TSA personnel engaged in screening operations.
- Serve as principal advisor to the Federal Security Director (FSD) on all operational matters.
- Develop, plan, coordinate, and implement policy that supports screening operations, customer service, and stakeholder programs.
- Implement and measure performance of screening standards and security programs.
- Provide oversight of passenger, baggage, air cargo security screening operations, airport security risk assessments, security technology implementation, preventative maintenance, crisis management, communications network protection, and other related programs as directed by the FSD.
- Facilitate and communicate the receipt, utilization, and delivery of intelligence information, incident reports, and other appropriate information to the workforce.
- Identify intelligence resources for use by staff to strengthen security posture. Participate in briefings concerning classified information.
- Model and work with leadership team to develop and maintain workforce command presence and professional appearance.
- Create and lead a collaborative culture that encourages engagement and networking. Leverage shared expertise at all levels to mitigate security threats.
- Evaluate threat mitigation strategies and tactics using risk assessment concepts and tools, including "threat, vulnerability, and consequence."
- Determine effectiveness and recommend adjustments as needed.
- Practice, promote, and implement programs that reinforce critical thinking skills, specialized communication tactics, and improve the ability of the workforce to make independent, security based decisions by using available intelligence, critical thinking, experience, observation, and passenger engagement.
- Develop and maintain a calm, controlled operational environment in order to enhance the workforce's ability to mitigate security threats.
- Create a work environment in which employees at every level are valued and encouraged to raise issues and voice concerns without retaliation or fear of reprisal.
- Ensure that their organization applies and promotes the Integrated Conflict Management System (ICMS) core principles and complies with applicable standards.
- Mentor teams at all levels and provide constructive feedback that recognizes positive behavior and promotes individual improvement, growth, and confidence.
- Provide management and technical oversight to staff members and perform related supervisory functions (e.g., performance evaluation, administration of leave, discipline, training, awards, and recognition).
- Interact with stakeholders to identify and resolve operational issues.
- May perform tasks/assume responsibilities for the FSD during his/her absence.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify for the SV-K Pay Band (equivalent to GS-15):
Your application for this position must reflect one year of specialized experience that is in or related to the duties of the position as described above and is at the experience level of the SV-J pay band or GS-14 (or equivalent) in the Federal Government. Qualifying specialized experience for this position is experience that reflects your particular knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies to successfully perform the duties of this position which involves supporting the Federal Security Director (FSD) in mitigating threats against aviation and other modes of transportation. Your experience must demonstrate you have the ability to perform the critical competencies necessary to supervise a staff that provides the security screening operations, airport security risk assessments, crisis management, technology implementation, and other related programs assigned by the FSD. Competencies required for this position include, but are not limited to the ability to:
- Understand, instruct, and apply security directives and regulations;
- Identify a range of security issues and threats in a complex environment; and
- Provide leadership and direction in managing and overseeing a diverse workforce of professional and support staff performing protective security work.
Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour workweek. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtime.
You must meet the qualification requirements for this position no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of the experience and/or related education as reflected in your resume and supporting documentation. You are encouraged to ensure work experiences clearly show possession of the competencies required for this position. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and any supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your category placement may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
When completing the assessment questionnaire for this position, you will be prompted to elect if you wish for your application to be considered as External (where Veterans' Preference applies), as Status (current or former Federal Employees), and/or Internal to TSA as a current permanent or competitive temporary employee. At that time, please select the answer(s) that apply to you and your application to this position.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Please Note: All of the following must be received in our office by 11:59 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If we do not receive all required information by the closing date, your application may not be considered.
Your application must include:
2. Self Assessment Questionnaire for this position
3. Applicable supporting documents (see Required Documents Section)
Click the "Apply Online" button below and follow the prompts to apply.
We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the TSA HRAccess Help Desk before the closing of this announcement for alternative options on how to apply. The Help Desk is available by phone at 1-877-872-7990 between the hours of: 7:00AM - 8:00PM ET Monday - Friday, 10:00AM - 3:00PM ET Saturday, or 11:00AM - 4:00PM ET Sunday. If outside these hours, please email your question or concern to Helpdesk@TSA-HRAccess.com or fax 1-877-872-7993.
When contacting the Help Desk please provide your contact information, the Job Announcement Number of the position you are interested in, and your questions or concerns.
In addition to a resume and the assessment questions, you must submit copies of any of the following documents if you are applying based on current or former Federal Government Status (if you are not a current TSA employee), or Veterans' Preference:
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action - Current TSA employees are not required to submit an SF-50 to support eligibility for internal/status consideration.
If you are not a current TSA employee: you must submit your most recent personnel action SF-50 (or equivalent document) to support your eligibility for Status consideration. If you elect Status for the consideration of your application without submitting an SF-50 demonstrating your current or previous permanent Federal employment status, and you are not a current TSA employee, your application may not receive Status consideration.
DD-214 - If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, provide a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other appropriate documentation to prove your entitlement and to provide verification of an Honorable Discharge. Failure to provide this documentation will result in your application not receiving 5-point preference.
SF-15 and VA Letter - If you are claiming Veterans' Preference based upon a Compensable Disability, Widow or Spouse Entitlement, or as a Purple Heart recipient, you must submit your DD-214 or other proof of entitlement; an SF-15, and the required proof of disability, i.e., Department of Veterans Affairs letter dated 1991 or later. Failure to provide this documentation will result in your application not receiving 10-point preference.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We will notify you of the outcome of these steps when they have been completed. You may also check your application status by visiting the Candidate Dashboard.