If you are interested in a rewarding and challenging career, this is the position for you!
The Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) seeks highly-qualified individuals to join our team of expert professionals in becoming a part of our challenging and rewarding Agency. The primary mission of the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) is to adjudicate immigration cases by fairly, expeditiously, and uniformly interpreting and administering the Nation's immigration laws. Under delegated authority from the Attorney General, EOIR conducts immigration court proceedings, appellate reviews, and administrative hearings. EOIR consist of three components: The Office of the Chief Immigration Judge, which is responsible for managing the Immigration Courts where Immigration Judges adjudicate individual cases; the Board of Immigration Appeals, which primarily conducts appellate reviews of these Immigration Judge decisions; and the Office of the Chief Administrative Hearing Officer, which adjudicates immigration related cases.
This position is located in the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), Office of the Chief Immigration Judge, multiple Immigration Courts.
This is a Competitive Service position; additional positions may be filled from this announcement. Who May Apply: Applications will be accepted from All Qualified US Citizens plus well qualified displaced and surplus federal employees in the Local Commuting Area. Veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after three years or more of continuous active service may apply.
Note: This is an Open Continuous Announcement. A referral list will be issued every three weeks. This announcement may close at any time once positions are filled. There are 49 geographical locations and applicants are limited to applying for only (2) two locations.
If selected for this position, you will join a well-respected team that is responsible for directly and independently providing a wide variety of technical legal assistance services. The wide variety of technical legal assistance services are performed before, during and after immigration proceedings, in and out of the courtroom.
The major duties of Legal Assistant (Court) OA GS-0986-05 include:
- Receiving visitors and telephone callers;
- Reviewing documents;
- Establishing and maintaining case files; and
- Preparing and processing legal correspondence.
The major duties of Legal Assistant (Court) OA GS-0986-06 include the above mentioned and:
- Responding to Freedom of Information Act requests;
- Conducting research related to legal cases;
- Maintaining statistical data on cases; and
- Examining a variety of technical legal documents.
The major duties of Legal Assistant (Court) OA GS-0986-07 include the above mentioned and:
- Searching files for material to assemble data into the proper format for reports;
- Checking and retiring files to the Federal Record Center;
- Composing original letters and memoranda not requiring legal interpretation; and
- Running and distributing reports.
The major duties of Legal Assistant (Court) OA GS-0986-08 include the above mentioned and:
- Assisting in planning case processing strategies;
- Responding to inquiries and requests for case-related information from judges, court administrators, attorneys;
- Determining the need to create or reassemble case files;
- Applying comprehensive legal regulations, techniques and procedures to perform work; and
- Serving as the system administrator for all legal records and documents.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be required to travel occasionally.