The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visitNIH Overview
The successful candidate for this position will serve as Head of the Library Technology Services Section, Technical Services Division (TSD), Library Operations (LO), National Library of Medicine (NLM).
More than just a library!
Although the National Library of Medicine (NLM) is the world's largest library of the health sciences, with a collection of more than 12 million items, the Library also conducts research in biomedical communications, creates databases and search tools for molecular biology information resulting from the Human Genome Project, creates specialized information services in the areas of toxicology and environmental health and supports a nationwide network of medical libraries. The Library's various Web-based databases are the world's most consulted medical information resources for scientists, health professionals, and the public. Click on http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ for more information.
If selected for this position, you will perform the following duties:
- Provide strategic leadership for the selection and design of library automation applications and digital library technologies.
- Formulate and establish priorities and goals for implementing long-term operational plans.
- Formulate budget requests and oversee expenditure of operating funds.
- Determine the need for contracting or other external support.
- Oversee a coordinated Division program of first-level desktop technology support; manage Division hardware and software budget and oversee technology upgrades and improvements.
- Serve as a technical authority and spokesperson on NLM library technology and library systems.