Job Title:Applications DBA Specialist
Agency:House of Representatives
Job Announcement Number:HIR-001-14
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, January 15, 2014 to
Wednesday, January 29, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
Excepted Service Permanent|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Applications will be accepted from U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizens.|
About the Agency
The House Information Resources unit is seeking Microsoft SQLServer DBA and MySQL database administrator responsible for database design, modification, implementation and maintenance, recovery procedures and data dictionary maintenance, verification of new software versions, and maintenance of certain common data and file design.
Responsibilities include support of multiple mission critical applications providing performance tuning, enforcement of standards, support of high availability databases replication, mirroring, clustering, documentation, capacity planning & trending analysis, backup/recovery, and 24x7 production on-call support.
DUTIES:Back to top
1) Provide SQLServer and MySQL technical troubleshooting for applications and database systems with emphasis on root cause analysis.
2) Develop and maintain a SQLServer and MySQL database with respect to monitoring, training, access, security, and media recovery.
3) Write and maintain documentation describing changes and architecture modifications to all systems and databases.
4) Interface extensively with other technical staff and regularly provide information and technical guidance.
5) Participate in the researching solutions to various business and technical problems, evaluate alternatives and provide recommendations/justifications to management.
6) Define and implement database backup/recovery and security strategies as well as other monitoring activities.
7) Provide advanced SQLServer and MySQL performance tuning and troubleshooting.
8) Provide on-call support for assigned SQLServer and MySQL databases 24x7.
9) Performs other official duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent level work experience. Minimum 5 years of relevant experience. Demonstrated degree of technical proficiency with design of databases. 5-10 years IT operation with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices. 5-7 years with Microsoft SQL Server and 3-5 years MySQL experience. High degree of general and detailed design of databases, including Database Management Systems (DBMS) as well as conventional file design. Knowledge of the operating interrelationship between databases and the other systems. Demonstrated ability to design database structures. Demonstrated skills in writing effective technical documentation. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with senior staff, information systems professionals and non-technical users. Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment. Ability to work additional hours as required. Must be able to secure and maintain Federal Government security clearances as deemed appropriate by senior management.
Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactorily completing a criminal history records check (or other applicable security clearance) and a pre-employment drug-test (pre-identified position only).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Highly qualified candidates will be evaluated based on a structured interview.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Qualified candidates please submit your resume online HERE
by following the instructions. If you are unable to submit your resume online through the House.gov website, please fax a cover letter and resume (reference announcement# HIR-001-14) to 202-226-7514.
Hiring for this position is governed by the Veterans’ Employment Opportunities Act. Applicants seeking veterans’ preference consideration should contact a CAO Human Resources representative at CAOHumanResources@mail.house.gov for further information.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Highly qualified candidates will be contacted directly.