NOTE: These positions are in the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps and you will be referred as a Commissioned Corps personnel and not as a candidate to a permanent GS career or career-conditional appointment. These USPHS positions are being filled at the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade (O-2), or Lieutenant (O-3).
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: ONLY USPHS OFFICERS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THESE POSITIONS BASED ON THE APPLICANT'S YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND THE NEEDS OF THE LOCATION.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
This is a key position within the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). ICE utilizes the government's second largest cadre of law enforcement officers to ensure our nation's economic, transportation and infrastructure security. ICE enforces immigration and customs laws. Our talented and courageous workforce identifies criminal activities and eliminates vulnerabilities that pose a threat to our nation's borders.
ICE is the primary investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security. With more than 19,000 employees in 400 offices around the world, ICE is a key component of the DHS layered defense approach to protecting our nation. For additional information about ICE and career opportunities go to http://www.ice.gov/
The ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security. The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contract employees comprise the health care professional working together to provide quality health care services.
This announcement will be used to fill vacancies at IHSC facilities. Although the announcement is advertised for multiple locations, it is not intended to convey any implication that these positions are vacant and will be filled at all locations. In some cases, advertised duty locations will not have a vacancy during the open period of this announcement. Cut-off dates will be established on an as-needed basis as vacancies occur, however, the final deadline for application and submission of all documentation will be 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Friday, October 31, 2014.
***This Position is open for Commissioned Corps officers only***
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Professional nursing principals, procedures, and techniques to patient care and nursing supervision.
2. Medication, administration guidelines, and pharmaceutical agents and their desired and adverse effects in order to recognize untoward effects and take appropriate corrective measures.
3. Training methods and sufficient interpersonal skills to develop a rapport with patients and coworkers during which instructional and educational information is presented.
4. Requirements for safety, infection control, quality assurance, maintenance of records of patients seen, statistical information gathering, etc.
5. Care and responsible to emergency situations.
6. Patient health education skills.
O2 billet- Requires a BSN, Nursing License and BLS. 0 -2 years experience
Level 1- Requires a BSN, Nursing License and BLS. 0 -2 years experience
O3 billet-Requires a BSN, Nursing License, and BLS. 2 years overall nursing experience. Preferred: 1 year correctional nursing, 1 year Spanish, 1 year team leader, non supervisory, and CCP-CCN
Level 2 -Nursing License, and BLS. 3 years overall nursing experience.
- Must be licensed by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or territory of the United States.
- Maintain current CPR/BLS certification.
- Maintain clinical professional skills via continuing education opportunities.
- Cultural Competency.
- Interpersonal Skills.
- Good Oral/Written Communication Skills.
- Occasional Travel