As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must show in your resume evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications listed below.
Current career SES members, former career SES members with reinstatement eligibility, or SES Candidate Development graduates that have already been certified by OPM should also show in your resume evidence of the qualification requirements.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): Below are descriptions of the technical qualifications that must be clearly described in your resume. Your responses must explain how your experience supports each of the TQs.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
- Demonstrated experience serving as a senior-level legal expert on enforcement, regulatory, or legislative activities, including the ability to represent and defend positions pertaining to statutes and regulations to a variety of stakeholders both inside and outside of government, in negotiation, litigation, briefings, public presentations, or other settings.
- Demonstrated senior-level experience in communicating advice on novel or complex legal issues to executive level decision-makers and other stakeholders, on interpreting and applying fact, law, and policy. Decision-makers and stakeholders include such groups as members of Congress or representatives of their staff; high-level officials within Federal agencies, state, city and county officials; Attorney General and State Legislature; railroad management and labor officials; various technical and professional organizations; and other associations interested in railroad safety; and the public in carrying out the agency’s legal responsibilities.
Below are descriptions of the ECQs that must be clearly described in your resume. ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE:
This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE:
This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team BuildingECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN:
This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical CredibilityECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN:
This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology ManagementECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS:
This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES:
The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation. Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website
You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications
for specific examples and guidance on addressing Executive Qualifications in a Resume.
- All applicants must have successfully completed a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association leading to a professional law degree – LLB or JD.
- All applicants must be an active member in good standing of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico bar.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
- Complete a Public Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
- Federal Government Travel Card Requirement: The Travel and Transportation Reform Act of 1998 [pub.L.105-264] and the Federal Travel Regulations [41 CFR Part 3000 et seq.] require that all Federal employees obtain and use contractor-issued Federal travel charge cards for all payments or expenses related to official Government travel. To be considered for this position, all applicants who are current employees of either the Federal Railroad Administration or another Federal agency will be asked to certify that their Government travel card is in good standing (i.e. not suspended or cancelled) and that there exist no reasonable circumstances which would jeopardize that good standing. All applicants understand and agree that FRA's offer of employment or a position under this announcement is voidable at the sole discretion of FRA if: 1) if the applicant fails to provide the required certifications; or 2) if the certification is found to be untrue; or 3) if the applicant is unable to obtain a Federal Government travel card for whatever reason.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
An SES reviewing panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check.
If selected, you must be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) before you can be appointed to the position, unless you are a current career SES member, former career SES member with reinstatement eligibility, or SES Candidate Development graduate and have already been certified by OPM.
To preview questions please click here.