Executive Core Qualifications
The following are the five ECQs and their fundamental competencies which are the primary selection criteria for SES positions. The ECQs were developed to assess executive experience and potential, not to evaluate technical experience. ECQs measure whether an individual has the broad experience needed to succeed in a variety of SES positions.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
(Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
(Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
(Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical credibility)
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
(Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
(Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Executive Qualifications at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
This position does not have an educational requirement.
Professional Technical Qualifications
You must respond to all PTQs listed below in order to be considered for this position. The instructions for responding to the PTQs are described in the "Required Documents" section.
1. Ability to manage enterprise-wide information technology systems for a large globally dispersed organization or agency, including demonstrated experience functioning as a customer-focused, strategic partner with senior leadership to solve complex IT issues, deliver high-profile IT projects within tight deadlines and budgets using project management, and acquire vital IT system components.
2. Demonstrated knowledge and experience formulating, implementing, and managing an effective risk management framework, as well as delivering enterprise-wide IT security functions to ensure compliance with the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), as well as National Institute of Standards and Technology and/or equivalent IT security standards and guidelines, including experience in managing cyber security threats.
3. Demonstrated skill and ability leading and managing an IT investment control process for a large globally dispersed organization or agency that maximizes return on investment, and defines large IT projects of significant scope and complexity relating to issues in areas such as software engineering, networks and telecommunications, systems integration, emerging technologies and/or technology architectures, including experience in developing and reporting metrics and performance measures.
4. Demonstrated experience formulating, implementing and managing cost-effective IT systems that promote mobility and productivity, including experience migrating IT operations to cloud-base providers, leveraging state of the art-communications technology to support a geographically-dispersed workforce, and utilizing standard configurations and commoditization of IT infrastructures to achieve economies of scale.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and narrative responses will be reviewed as follows. Responses that are not supported by your resume will eliminate you from consideration.
1. Application completeness
2. Basic qualification determination
3. Executive core qualification and professional technical qualification determination
4. Rating panel assessment of your application
5. Structured interviews
6. Tentative selection by the hiring organization
7. OPM Qualification Review Board certification (for competitive applicants)
To preview questions please click here.