About the Agency
The International Trade Administration (ITA) is looking for an energetic, innovative information technology (IT) executive who will enjoy working in a dynamic and mission driven organization as Chief Information Officer. The ideal candidate will have senior level IT experience applying forward-thinking leadership in promoting and implementing a vision that fosters organizational excellence. Reporting to the Deputy Under Secretary for International Trade, the incumbent provides leadership in the formulation and administration of broad policy and operational activities that promote the effective and efficient utilization of IT in the context of ITA's globally dispersed workforce.
ITA is the Federal agency responsible for working with the industry to promote American exports and expand international trade through the development of partnerships, monitoring of and compliance with trade agreements, and other trade related services. ITA is a globally-based bureau of the Department of Commerce and includes 109 offices in the United States, 126 offices in 78 countries, and approximately 2400 employees.
As the Chief Information Officer (CIO), the incumbent reports to the Deputy Under Secretary and is responsible for providing executive and technical leadership and policy advice on information systems. The primary duties of the position are:
- Provides executive leadership, technical direction, and serves as the ITA principal advisor to the Deputy Under Secretary for International Trade leadership, and other key officials on information management services to ensure the Agency's program needs are addressed, to market innovative uses of technology, and to facilitate the Agency's access to needed information resources.
- Stimulates the use of innovative information technology solutions by shaping strategic objectives during program planning, resource acquisition, and allocation processes; participates in the program systems planning process as an agency for change; and produces a supporting strategic information resources plan that is linked to the Agency's business functions.
- Provides leadership and oversees the administration of agency-wide systems operations and prioritizes information technology systems amongst programmatic areas to ensure effective use of resources and achievement of ITA's objectives.
- Provides oversight and directs systems development and implementation through the life cycle management process. Business Applications include customer service toolkits; data analysis; integrated client tracking systems; trade data management and delivery; program operations; management applications; service center shared applications; and general support.
- Provides oversight and executive leadership in the collection of information through forms and reports. Ensures compliance with various rules, regulations, Acts, and requirements.
- Provides leadership in the management of the directives and regulatory programs. Provides expert advice and guidance of rules and policy notices to be published in the Federal Register.
- Provides broad oversight and policy review of proposals for acquisition of IT services, telecommunications equipment, software, hardware and services.
- Provides leadership for the design, documentation, modification, testing, installation, implementation and support of new or existing application software. Oversees the design of application architectures, maintenance of hardware and software and software testing facility, and help desk support.
- Provides oversight and leadership to ensure information security reliability and accessibility.
- Oversees the development and implementation of an agency-wide telecommunications program and system for all forms of electronic communications.
- Collaborates with and serves as a member of the DOC's Commerce Information Technical Review Board.
- Serves as a member of the Commerce CIO Council and coordinates ITA participation in other cross-organization and Commerce-wide IT initiatives