About the Agency
The incumbent provides on-site assistance to the Center for Animal Welfare (CAW) located in Kansas City, Missouri. Serving as a Program Support Assistant, this position is part of Animal Care’s virtual Resource Management Support Staff. The staff is responsible for application and execution of broad administrative policies and systems as they relate to Animal Care (AC) and its programs nationally.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates office administrative activities including distributing mail, receiving incoming telephone calls, and greeting visitors.
- Receives and reads incoming paper and electronic mail to ascertain priority status prior to distributing to appropriate staff members for routing or handling.
- Organizes and maintains a filing system of hard copy and electronic records for easy retrieval of information. Assists staff members with information gathering in response to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Operates word processing equipment and software to assist Specialists with design of informational and training webinars, formal presentations, spreadsheets, draft and final copies of program and administrative reports, scientific manuscripts, and/or statistical data.
- Engages in on-site meeting planning activities such as meeting room reservations, printing, coordination of ground transportation, arranging videoconferences, etc.
- Provides personal assistance to Specialists in support of program activities. Assistance could be in the form of article or information searches, note taking, or developing and tracking of information in spreadsheets as well as assisting with web and SharePoint site monitoring and review.
- Maintains up-to-date inventory of all office and printer supplies and forms. Initiates necessary orders through building service level agreement or by preparing and submitting purchase requests to ensure receipt before existing supplies are exhausted.
- Procures requests for services or maintenance of office equipment in a timely fashion.