Job Title:Executive Officer, Division of Environmental Biology
Agency:National Science Foundation
Job Announcement Number:DEB-2014-0001
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, January 06, 2014 to
Wednesday, February 05, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
SES Limited-Term Appointment (1-3 years) or Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) assignment.|
|1 vacancy -
Arlington, VA View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Applications accepted from US Citizens. Recent changes in Federal Appropriations Law requires Non-Citizens to meet certain eligibility criteria to be considered. Therefore, Non-Citizens must certify eligibility by signing and attaching this Citizenship Affidavit to their application. Non-citizens who do not provide the affidavit at the time of application will be considered for IPA only.|
|Q - Nonsensitive|
About the Agency
Please DO NOT USE the APPLY ONLINE BUTTON when applying for this announcement. Your application material should be sent to the email address indicated in the How To Apply section below.
Become a part of our mission to maintain and strengthen the vitality of the US science and engineering enterprise. For over 60 years, the National Science Foundation (NSF) has remained the premier Federal agency supporting basic research at the frontiers of discovery across all fields, as well as science and engineering education at all levels.
The Senior Executive Service (SES) covers managerial positions above GS-15 in the Federal Service. Persons appointed to the SES are eligible for health benefits, life insurance, social security, Federal retirement and thrift savings plan coverage, and participate in the Federal leave system. Information about the leadership requirements for SES-level positions is available on the OPM website.
This position will be filled on a one-to-three year Senior Executive Service (SES) Limited Term Appointment or on an Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) assignment basis. Under the provisions of the IPA, assignees remain on the payroll of his/her home institution and the institution continues to administer pay and benefits. The National Science Foundation (NSF) will reimburse the home institution for NSF's negotiated share of the costs.
DUTIES:Back to top
Serves as the Executive Officer, Division of Environmental Biology in the Directorate for Biological Sciences. The Division supports fundamental research on populations, species, communities, and ecosystems. The Executive Officer participates with the Division Director in providing leadership and direction to the Division of Environmental Biology. Assists the Division Director in carrying out Division-wide responsibilities such as strategic planning and management, human capital management including recruitment of staff, budget preparation for submission to congress, and overseeing the evaluation of proposals and recommendations for awards and declinations. Represents NSF to relevant external groups and fosters partnerships with other Divisions, Directorates, Federal agencies, scientific organizations and the academic community. The Executive Officer assumes the Division Director role in the absence of the Division Director.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- Leading Change. Demonstrated ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Includes the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Leading People. Demonstrated ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Includes the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution conflicts.
- Results-Driven Leadership. Demonstrated ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Includes the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Business Acumen. Demonstrated ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- Building Coalitions. Demonstrated ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or internal organizations to achieve common goals.
For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications
- Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience or a combination of education and equivalent experience in one of the areas of biological science supported by the Division (i.e. g, populations, species, communities, and ecosystems).
- Substantial research contributions and strong evidence of scholarship and leadership in disciplines related to environmental biology as evidenced in publications and other professional contributions.
- Broad understanding of universities and other institutions where research and education in science and engineering is conducted.
- Knowledge of grant and contract administration, fiscal management, and budget preparation with experience in scientific research support.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be screened for basic eligibility according to the qualification requirements. Eligible applicants will be reviewed by an Evaluation Panel according to the criteria based on the qualification requirements. The best qualified candidates will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, physical disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit reason.
There are no questions to preview in the link below.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
You must submit all required information by the closing date. If materials are not received, your application will be evaluated solely on the information available and you may not receive full consideration or may not be considered eligible.
The individual selected will be required to file an "Executive Branch Personnel Public Financial Disclosure Report" (SF-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit your application so that it will be received by 11:59 PM Eastern time on the closing date of the announcement.
Ensure that your application includes the documents listed below and reflects your background in terms of the qualification requirements for the position.1. Resume or other application format of your choice
. Your application should contain the following information: Announcement number and your country of citizenship (Non-Citizens must certify eligibility by signing and attaching this Citizenship Affidavit to their application. Non-citizens who do not provide the affidavit at the time of application will be considered for IPA only.
); Information about your education, your major, and type and year of degree(s); and Information about all your work experience, including job titles, duties, and accomplishments, employer's name and phone number, number of hours worked per week, starting and ending dates (month and year), and salary. If you have held various positions with the same employer, describe each separately.2. Narrative statement addressing your background in terms of (a)the executive/managerial, and (b)the professional/technical requirements
.3. NSF Form 1232, Applicant Survey
. We also ask that you complete and submit the Applicant Survey Form
. This will help NSF to ensure that our recruiting efforts are attracting a diverse candidate pool; it will be used for statistical purposes only.APPLICATION SUBMISSION: Applications must be received by the closing date on this announcement. Applications may be transmitted electronically to email@example.com or mailed or delivered to the following address:National Science Foundation
Division of Human Resource Management
Executive Personnel, Room 315
ATTN: DEB-2014-0001 4201 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22230 Inquiries or questions should be directed to: Executive Personnel Staff at (703) 292-8267; hearing impaired individuals should call TDD (703) 292-5090 for assistance.
Additional information on the NSF mission, structure, programs, and operations may be accessed through our website. The NSF provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of this application and hiring process, please notify the point of contact on this job opportunity announcement.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR DATE OF BIRTH ON YOUR APPLICATION DOCUMENTS.
Please review your application packet to ensure that you have submitted all documentation that you want considered.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
The Evaluation Panel will rate and rank each eligible applicant based on the qualification requirements and refer the top candidate to the selecting official.