Job Title:Computer Scientist
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Job Announcement Number:14-DE-SC-HQ-005
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, January 07, 2014 to
Tuesday, January 21, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location(s):|
Darnestown, MD View Map
Germantown, MD View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All U.S. Citizens|
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
About the Agency
The Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States, providing more than 40 percent of total funding for this vital area of national importance. It oversees - and is the principal federal funding agency of - the Nation's research programs in high-energy physics, nuclear physics, and fusion energy sciences. The Office of Science manages fundamental research programs in basic energy sciences, biological and environmental sciences, and computational science. In addition, the Office of Science is the Federal Government's largest single funder of materials and chemical sciences, and it supports unique and vital parts of U.S. research in climate change, geophysics, genomics, life sciences, and science education. The Office of Science manages this research portfolio through six interdisciplinary program offices: Advanced Scientific Computing Research, Basic Energy Sciences, Biological and Environmental Research, Fusion Energy Sciences, High Energy Physics and Nuclear Physics. In addition, the Office of Science sponsors a range of science education initiatives through its Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists program.
The Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of the Deputy Director for Science Programs, Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research, Computational Science Research & Partnerships (SciDAC) Division, is seeking a motivated and highly qualified individual to serve as a recognized science and technology authority and expert. See Duty Section for additional information.
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 10% travel time.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Relocation is at your own expense.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected for this position, you will:
1. Serve as a recognized scientific computing authority and expert providing leadership in the direction, conduct, reviewing, and reporting of significant original work associated with the computer science research program for extreme-scale supercomputing and/or data intensive science.
2. Develop and prepare analytical documents to communicate with top management of DOE and higher echelons of government on the status of programmatic phases and new developments in computer science research.
3. Prepare, justify, and support the budget relating to assigned program(s).
4. Maintain general awareness of business aspects of the computer science research programs.
5. Prepare complex analytical reports, papers, and policy interpretation.
6. Present complex recommendations to top management.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
One year of specialized experience conducting fundamental research work in the fields of computer science and/or high performance computational sciences.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- An understanding of the implications of emerging heterogeneous multi-core architectures, including related requirements for dynamic power/energy management, deep memory hierarchies, resilience, input/output constraints, and programmability concerns.
- Understanding of the implications of programming models and execution models with respect to the operating and runtime systems.
- Knowledge of tools and techniques for constructing high performance software.
- Knowledge of technical advances in high performance computing.
- Knowledge of requirements and implications of data-intensive science awareness.
- Ability to manage, plan, implement, and evaluate a complex national research program in computation science.
- Ability to plan, budget, justify, and allocate funds among programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing to prepare complex analytical reports, issue papers, and policy interpretation for program activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally to present complex analytical recommendations to top management and to represent the Office and DOE on high-level forums.
If this vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
You must have a bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions. Foreign Education If you completed all or part of your education outside of the U.S., you must have your foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying for this position. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) website NACES. For additional information regarding evaluation of foreign equivalences, you may also visit the Department of Education's website: Department of Education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online résumé/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Within each category, veteran preference eligibles will be listed at the top of the category. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and below.
If your résumé is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation BEFORE the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.Steps to submit a complete application:
IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly. NEED HELP?
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- If specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.