About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
This position starts at a salary of $92,259.00 (GS-13). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Region II Sandy Recovery Office team within FEMA.
:EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is being announced under FEMA's CORE Program (Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery employees). These positions are authorized under P.L. 93-288 to perform temporary disaster work and are funded from the Disaster Relief Fund. Appointments are excepted service, temporary appointments. This is a 2 year temporary appointment in the Excepted Service.
This position is located in the Federal Emergency Management Agency, (FEMA), Region II, Sandy Recovery Office in New York.
- Manages a multi million dollar Public Assistance Program providing financial, technical and direct Federal assistance to restore public facilities, and accomplish other eligible work following a major disaster.
- Effectively coordinates with activities of other Federal, State, local agencies, and private relief organizations that provide other types of Public Assistance. The organizational title for this position is Public Assistance (PA) Banch Director.
- Implements,monitors,and evaluates Public Assistance programs of the Sandy Recovery office, which provides financial assistance to State or local government for the repair, restoration, or replacement of a public facility which is damaged or destroyed by a major disaster.
- Evaluates findings to determine the impact of the incident to homes, business, farms, and employment; performs review/validations of analyses, summaries, conclusions and recommendations.
- Manages analysis of claims for payment assuring that only eligible costs are recommended for approval. Works with Federal and State auditors, Federal inspectors and the State and local applicants. Arranges for in-depth evaluation of complex projects to assure that all eligible reimbursement are properly claimed.
- Incumbent delegated authority to direct and execute the day-to-day operations for the Public Assistance Branch. Plans work and makes assignments based on priorities, work requirements, assignments difficulties and employee capabilities, and assures that work production and accuracy requirements are met,
- Occasional Travel
- Some travel may be required