In order to qualify for this position, applicants must fulfill the basic requirements via one of the two options below:
At least one full academic year (18 semester hours) of graduate level study in library science, information science, informatics, or knowledge management in an accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor's degree or higher degree (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts for verification).
A total of at least 5 years of a combination of college-level education, training, and experience. To qualify on this basis, the applicant must establish conclusively that the education, training, and experience provided a knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles, and techniques of professional librarianship; a knowledge of literature resources; and the knowledge and abilities essential for providing effective library and information services.
In addition to meeting the above basic requirement, applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications.
In order to qualify for the position at the GS-15 level, applicants must meet the requirements as described below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent in complexity to at least the GS-14 level in Federal service that provided you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience includes:
· Overseeing the planning and allocation of library budgets according to types of materials and services needed for support;
· Establishing policies and plans related to the special requirements of acquiring, organizing, disseminating, and preserving scientific and/or agricultural information;
· Managing and overseeing the organization, operation, and administrative processes of large research libraries including the application of state of the art computer, information management, knowledge management, and telecommunications technologies;
· Planning, directing, and supervising information programs including the management of financial and human resources, the acquisition of contracts, and the establishment of external collaboration agreements;
· Providing technical and administrative supervision on a library-wide level.
**This experience must be clearly demonstrated in your resume**
This position is open to all US Citizens and Nationals, and Noncompetitive and Special Hiring Authority eligibles. You may apply under open-competitive, and noncompetitive procedures, however; you must meet the requirements for one of the following categories to apply as a noncompetitive eligible.
- A current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. This includes applicants who have previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered.
- A Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA), must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. Eligibility for VRA appointments includes Disabled veterans; Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years. Disabled veterans must provide the SF-15 and supporting documentation from the VA along with DD-214. NOTE: VRA only applies to positions at the GS-11 level and below.
- A 30% or more Disabled Veteran. You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered.
- A military spouse. Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation as proof to be considered.
- A Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule 'A' Appointment. Please submit documentation from a State or Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered.
- A Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
- Interchange Agreements and Miscellaneous Authorities. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating Procedures. Qualified candidates will be placed for selection consideration into three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Your resume will be reviewed and compared against your responses to the online questionnaire. We strongly encourage you to answer every question that accompanies this vacancy, as your responses will better highlight your specific qualifications.
Please note that your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. High self-assessment in the applicant questions that is not supported by information in your resume may eliminate you from best-qualified status and subsequent referral to the selecting official.
Displaced/Surplus Employees: Individuals eligible under the USDA Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles within the local commuting area will be considered well qualified if the applicant meets the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors, and is rated in the Well Qualified Category as described in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. Employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent performance rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible. CLICK HERE for additional information on CTAP and ICTAP.