About the Agency
Your Career Forecast is Sunny and Bright with the National Weather Service. The National Weather Service (NWS), the world's preeminent weather and atmospheric sciences organization, offers you an opportunity to help protect American lives and property. Since 1870, the NWS has served the public by providing forecasts and hazardous weather warnings while studying the most dynamic forces of nature. Contribute your talents to this tradition. The National Weather Service...Working together to save lives. For more information please visit http://www.arh.noaa.gov/recruitment/ This position will be located with the National Weather Service (NWS), Southern Region Headquarters in Fort Worth, TX. This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-SR-2014-0003 (MAP) which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
- This position is in a bargaining unit.
*This vacancy may be used to fill other Telecommunication Specialist, GS-0391-11/12 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
This position is responsible for acquisition, development, deployment, and sustainment of all voice and data communications systems including frequency spectrum management for the NWS Southern Region. Responsibilities include:
- Establishing priorities for service provisioning for all Southern Region facilities.
- Reviews and analyzes telecommunications disaster avoidance and service restoration procedures, develops critical service requirements and deploys new strategies and plans for the protection of critical services; this includes developing and leading the teams to effect these goals. Identifies potential vulnerabilities and recommends solutions.
- Resolves telecommunication problems and issues often involving complex technical solutions or methods.
- Applies knowledge of telecommunication regulations and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Initiates economic comparisons for telecommunication support services, such as maintenance, and recommends solutions. Participates in implementations and change-outs; initiates all administrative changes, including cancellation of existing contracts; participates and leads technical review committees.
- Applies current knowledge of telecommunications systems to develop plans to incorporate new technologies or equipment to include project time lines, logical sequences of activities, and coordination of both internal and external resources.
- Responds to emergency outages or communications faults and recommends and/or implements timely and effective resolutions in accordance with established procedures.
- Reviews telecommunications contracts and coordinates telecommunications services with outside vendors and telecommunications maintenance contractors.
- Occasional Travel
- may be required.