About the Agency
NSF has the advantages of a small agency environment that fosters collaboration, creativity and opportunities to contribute to major agency-wide projects. NSF maintains a creative, flexible, and collegial atmosphere and is respected in both the public and private sectors for its management practices and stewardship of federal funds. Join our team at one of the best places to work in the federal government and use your knowledge and imagination to keep NSF at the frontier of discovery! More about NSF.
This position is a Program Support Manager (Supervisory Program Analyst) in the Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences. Through the combined use of robust, proven and innovative managerial techniques, the Program Support Manager (PSM) is responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient functioning of the Division's program-related workload. The PSM, along with the Program Support Team that this position would supervise and be responsible for, will perform and manage the full range of business activities involved in the review and funding of scientific research proposals. Working together, the PSM and his/her team ensures effective end-to-end administrative management of this process to accomplish NSF's scientific mission.
The Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences (MCB) supports fundamental research and related activities that address the dynamic underpinnings of complex living systems at the molecular, subcellular and cellular levels. Questions relating to (i) the origin, organization and properties of macromolecular structures, and/or subcellular and cellular components and (ii) the nature of basic life processes are a priority for the Division. It is expected that these questions will be framed such that they contribute to the advancement of a conceptual framework for biology as a whole. The Division supports research across all experimental systems, but gives highest priority to projects that use the most appropriate system for answering a particular fundamental biological question.
Key functions of this position involve managing the workload, resources, operational procedures, policies and functions of the Division. As a Program Support Manager, you will:
- Manage, understand and oversee the analytical work of the division such as forecasting workload, conducting long-term planning and management, and developing policy;
- Supervise and manage a Program Support Team of 5-12 staff members engaged in the end to end business processing of scientific proposal funding. This includes applying a full range of managerial and supervisory functions including but not limited to: Participating in the recruitment and selection process; Coordinating and allocating workload for the program support team; monitoring and tracking successful completion of work products;
- Identify, project, and allocate financial and other resources required to provide administrative support;
- Serve as the Division's chief administrative liaison with other organizations within the agency, other Federal agencies, the scientific community, and other organizations affiliated with the Division's programs;
- Coordinate with Division management to develop new or modified administrative policies, goals, and objectives and carry them through to completion utilizing your Program Support Team; and
- Recommend and implement changes or improvements in organization staffing, work methods, and procedures based on results from studies on employee/organizational analyses.