Job Title: Crane Operator - WG - 5725 - 10/11 (Open to All U.S. Citizens) BPJob Announcement Number: SLSDC.MNT-2014-0002
Department: Department Of Transportation
Agency: Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 to
Monday, August 18, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time - -
WHO MAY APPLY:
All U.S. Citizens.
Applicants who are eligible for Status, VEOA or Non-Competitive consideration are encouraged to apply to announcement: SLSDC.MNT-2014-0001.
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency
This position is located in the office of Engineering and Maintenance, Heavy Equipment Branch, Massena, N.Y, www.massena.ny.us.
This announcement establishes an open continuous (8 month) Standing Register for Temporary Crane Operator positions at two different grade levels. This Register will be used to fill temporary positions for additional coverage during our winter work maintenance period and for various work projects.
All applications received by Dec. 23, 2013 will receive early consideration for temporary opportunities during upcoming winter work period which starts in January. Thereafter, we will review and forward applications on an "as needed" basis. You must meet all eligible requirements at the time of consideration. Please review the ‘Duties’ and ‘Qualifications Required’ section for further information.
PLEASE NOTE: The pay rate for the WG-10 level is $28.08 and the pay rate for the WG-11 level is $28.68.
Because this is a temporary position; there is no promotion potential.
Reimbursement for pre-employment interview expenses are not authorized.
Applicants are responsible for all costs involved with traveling to Massena, NY for an interview. If you do not live in the local commuting area, phone interviews are conducted prior to confirming an on-site interview. Relocation expenses are not authorized
- Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
- You must have a State issued Class A CDL.
- A copy of a current Crane Operator license or certification is required.
- Vacancy establishes an 8 month Standing Register for Temporary positions.
- Announcement also advertised merit promotion: SLSDC.MNT-2014-0001.
- Applicants will be referred when vacancies occur.
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected, you will operate cranes, derricks and mobile cranes, and a variety of engineering and construction equipment. Equipment operated can include, but is not limited to, trucks of gross vehicle weights of up to and exceeding 22,000 pounds, backhoes, front end loaders, and various cranes. At the WG-11 level you may be required to operate a floating gatelifter.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Qualifications for the position are based on the training, experience, or other requirements that determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactorily in the position to be filled.
To qualify, your experience should include experience equal or equivalent to the following:
WAGE GRADE 10 & 11
Your application will be rated on the following job elements:
- Ability to do the work of the position.
- Operation of Motor Vehicles.
- Work practices (Ability to work safely).
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (related to mobile equipment operation).
- Ability to Drive and Operate Safely.
At the WG-10 level you need to have industrial and construction experience operating cranes up to 75 ton capacity.
At the WG-11 level you need the same experience requirement but up to 150 ton capacity.
: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. If you do not meet the minimum levels in the ability to do the work OR if you do not meet the minimum level overall, you will be disqualified.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- LICENSE REQUIREMENT: This position requires that you possess and maintain a State issued Class A CDL.
- CERTIFICATION: You must have a current Crane Operator license or certification. A copy of the license or certification must be submitted with your application.
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: You will be subject to a pre-employment and post-employment background investigation process which includes a fingerprint check.
- PHYSICAL EXAM REQUIRED: You will be required to successfully complete a physical exam and a functional capacity test, at the expense of the Saint Lawrence Seaway, before being placed in the position.
- FEDERAL DRUG & ALCOHOL TESTING FOR CDL POSITIONS: This position is a Drug Testing Designated Position (TDP) and CDL drivers are subject to pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, random, return-to-duty, follow-up and post-accident testing for illegal drug and alcohol use.
- PHYSICAL EFFORT FOR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Work requires frequent bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, crouching, turning and moving of hands, arms, feet, and legs. Good hand, foot and eye coordination is required. Strain may be caused by vibration of equipment and jerking and jolting from operating in strained positions, and making continual control changes to maneuver the crane around obstructions. May be required to lift up to 50 pounds, and often puts forth similar effort in pushing, pulling, turning, and positioning items. Lifts and moves heavier items with the assistance of other workers and/or lifting devices.
- WORKING CONDITIONS FOR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Work is performed indoors or outside in all types of weather, in open/enclosed drivers seats or cabs, on land or water. Is exposed to noise, vibration, dust, oil, dirt, and fumes. May be subject to hazards causing cuts, burns, shocks, bruises, broken bones, drowning, etc. The equipment, tools, and tasks involved with this position require the employee to constantly apply safe work methods and special care to avoid injuries to self and other workers.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (202)366-1298.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
The following documents must
be provided by the closing date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- Copy of State issued Class A CDL
- Copy of current Crane Operator license or certification.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming compensably disabled preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your DD214; an Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference, SF15; and the proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference. Additional information on veterans' preference is available in the Vet's Guide at: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx.
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp#AppointmentsLeading Noncompetitive Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/qaspouse/index.aspx military spouse NC appointments or http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp" Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS: - Only required if requesting priority consideration under https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf</A>. You must submit ALL of the FOLLOWING: your most recent performance appraisal, the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency and your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. To receive priority consideration, you MUST be deemed well qualified for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status into by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.